Fourth Wall

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Crap! I have a blog...

So, these next few weeks might be some of the hardest weeks of my undergraduate career. I don't want to say "will be", because I don't know what's coming up in the next few months, but let me give you a taste of what I've been up to:

1) BA proposal. Those of you who listen to me complain with some degree of frequency are probably aware that, while my time in Wales was amazing, it did manage to both throw a wrench in and prevent me from working on my BA plans. Therefore I've spent much of this week brainstorming, reading for, and re-writing my BA proposal. Yesterday I had about ten minutes to relax, which took place between posting my thoughts for my proposal on my seminar's Chalk site, and going to meet with my preceptor. Now I have a nice, long, and slightly overwhelming list of things I have to get done this week.

2) Latin. So, it turns out that spending a summer learning a Celtic language is really hard on one's Latin abilities-- so I've been spending the week trying to catch up. Not to mention, my meeting with my preceptor really struck home the fact that I can't just futz around with annotated editions of Cicero and Sallust (as I have been)-- I really need to know this stuff. This is like when Carolyn realized that she really had to know statistics inside and out for her BA.

3) Professor Fulton. I love her, but she really doesn't think twice about assigning a hundred pages of reading per class--which is fine when one *isn't* trying to do BA research simultaneously. Most of my thoughts for my BA are actually located in the margins of my "Religion and Society in the Medieval West" reading.

4) Oh my goodness gracious, I'm taking the GRE in two weeks.

5) Right. And my Aunt Argena was in the hospital this week after having a minor heart attack. They think. You can see that the hospital has not exactly inspired any confidence on my part.

6) Then there was a bit of a financial crisis this week when Jasmine ran out of checks and I had to cover the bills.

7) I feel really behind in my grad-school search.

8) And boys are still stupid, although Vanessa has pointed out that they can't always be blamed for it. I, too, am having a bit of trouble believing that they showed this to be true.

That said, my friends, as always, manage to keep me somewhere near sanity. Examples of some good things from the week:

Playing on the Nichols Park tire swing with Veronica the night before classes started, talking about boys, life, and girl things (and then retiring to her apt. for ice cream).
Pam. Enough said.
Discovering that a certain member of the Calvert House Undergraduates was called "Bunny" by his/her parents when he/she was a child.
Eating Samosas for lunch with Mordu.
The first late-night Dunkin' Donuts run of the year. ("You have to make sure you still know where it is," said Mom.)
Swinging on the playground swings with Mr. McCormick at 1 in the morning.
ACTING CLASS!
Dimitri, making me listen to a Frank Zappa song that starts "She's a Valley Girl..." to express his opinions on our Latin instructor.
Hearing Danny Wasserman's laugh over the phone.

And then there's some stuff to look forward to. Veronica's birthday is coming up (tomorrow!). I'm going to the Caroline Bynum lecture at Loyola on Thursday. I do like my classes, and I was extremely lucky to get a medievalist as a preceptor.

So, some quotes from the week:
(At the MSI reception:)
Carolyn: Three. That's three reasons to go to Seattle, to determine God's wi...
Alice: Look! Kayakers!

Veronica: This guy doesn't capitalize "Christian". That's going to bother me. It's a proper noun! You capitalize "Rousseauian"! I don't know what you don't capitalize..."cummingsian"?
Alice: I'm going to quietly enjoy the fact that you just indirectly compared e.e. cummings to Christ, and return to my reading on medieval views on the end of the world.

Alice: Bill, what is your major?
Bill: Don't worry about it. Concentrations just confuse things.

(In acting class, as our classmates tried to figure out who was telling the truth:)
May: Alice, on the first day of class you told me that you had acting training, so I was prepared to not believe anything you said.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home