Fourth Wall

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Wireless Blogging!

Dad set up a wireless station in the basement last night, so now, six years after he first bought it for himself, I finally have DSL. What this really means is that my cool purple room phone may actually see some use, now that the cord for the laptop won't be permanently installed in the phone jack. So I'm celebrating by typing up all the random bits that have surfaced this week- but I'm still sitting at my desk, which doesn't make much sense.

While going through the results of the typical narcissistic self-googling, (I wanted to see if whatcloset.org still came up- turns out it no longer exists,) I discovered two semi-interesting things. A) Maureen has linked to my blog (hi, Maureen), B) This person, who I don't know but who attends Calvert House, quoted my broomball article in its entirety (check her archives from February), which I guess means that even people I don't know found it amusing.

I spent my Labor Day doing some back-to-Chicago shopping, and then went to the opening for Our Work Life, a mural created by a couple of artist friends (husband & wife) that will be on Samtrans commuter buses (where advertisements usually are, at the top of the interior wall). It's cool- check it out. Oscar, the husband, drives a Samtrans bus as his day job, and now he gets to drive a bus with his murals on it.

I promised the following link to Fr. Keyes. I still think it's funny. Liturgy for Ignoramuses.

I have had the following little rhyme stuck in my head for the past few days:
"I love you, Mother," said little John;
Then forgetting his work, his cap went on.
And he was off to the garden swing,
And she had the wood and the water to bring.

"I love you, Mother," said rosy Nell;
"I love you more than tongue can tell."
Then she teased and pouted half the day,
Till her mother was glad when she went to play.

"I love you, Mother," said little Nan;
"Today I'll help you all I can;
My doll and playthings I know will keep!"
Then she rocked the baby fast asleep.

Stepping softly, she brought the broom,
And swept the floor and tidied the room.
Busy and happy all day was she,
Helpful and good as a child could be.

"I love you, Mother," again they said,
Three little children going to bed.
How do you think the mother guessed
Which of them really loved her best?


It was used as a devotional writing in my childhood Bible, for the Song of Solomon.

Just when I thought I was over my addiction to The Knot, I remembered that they have a home decorating section. They have advice on everything! Check it out.

Early tomorrow morning I leave for New York, where I will check on Katie and torment Dan. Do try to have fun without me.

2 Comments:

  • I did a google search looking for this poem. My grandma used to recite it to my sister and I when we were being particularly hypocriticle in backing our “I love you’s” with blatantly bankrupt generosity.

    Your blog seemed, in fact, to be the only copy of this poem. So thank you for posting it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

  • "I Love You Mother" I memorized this poem when I was about 10 or 12. Today is my birthday. I am 69 years old. This poem has always been in my mind and over the years I have referred to it but I could no longer remember all the words. I decided to google it today and was so surprised to find it. My daughter said "I love you Mom but I don't have time to celebrate with you." That's what made me think of it today. Thank you so much for posting it.

    Mary

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home