Fourth Wall

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Odds & Ends

When I was little, and my best friend, Rosie Newman, lived just a few blocks away on Delano Ave. (before they moved to Burlingame), we used to spend entire weekends together. We would meet up at one house after she went to Temple & "Saturday School," and spend the night. The next day, we'd take our bikes and trek over to the other house. We'd hide in her parents' walk-in-closet, comparing coin collections (back when it was a big deal to have found a Susan B. Anthony dollar,) and pretend we were sisters. We always hoped to fool people, despite my platinum-blonde mess of hair and her dark locks that could clearly not come from the same pair of parents.

Anyway, the point of this little memory fest is that, while I have no plans of investigating his parent's closets, Dan and I are repeating the pattern in a few weeks. We couldn't decide which city we wanted to be in more, so I leave for NYC on the 10th of September. We both fly back to San Francisco on the 15th, and he returns home on the 20th. I do hope to see Katie when I'm in New York- Patrick said that she wants to get to know me better. He translated that as a shopping trip.

Shoes!

I finally broke down and decided to find out what on earth Patrick's been talking about. I agree with Katie's sentiments, although I'm not as demonstrative as she is (and not nearly as demonstrative as Homestar Runner): it's more sad than funny. This is my reigning favorite.

I've also been catching up on my long-neglected online comics. I love Ozy & Millie. Go read Ozy & Mille right now. Any similarities between me & Millie are purely coincidental; I have never even been to Seattle, let alone inspired Mr. D.C. Simpson. That said, read this one.

Here's a Sluggy Freelance comic for those with Patrick's sense of humor.

You should also all go read Tom Stoppard's "Arcadia".

Thomasina: Septimus, what is carnal embrace?
Septimus: Carnal embrace is the practice of throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
...
Thomasina: I think you have not been candid with me, Septimus. A gazebo is not, after all, a meat larder.
Septimus: I never said my definition was complete.


And there's lots of good High School level (Junior High, if you're Patrick) math nerdiness, as well as enough latin and period references to keep fans of "The Invention of Love" amused. Oh, if I could some day write plays with the intelligence of Stoppard's...

I was walking to the bank when I heard the sirens, and when I neared the intersection of Ocean & Mission, I saw where they were going. A woman had been hit by a car that didn't stop for her as she crossed Ocean at Rose. As I walked away, my errands complete, they were putting her on a stretcher, and a Police Officer who was lighting flares asked if I had seen the accident. I told her no, and went on my way.

Crossing Alemany, a male meter maid (meter man?) slowed his little cart and said, "Hello." I gave him a tight-lipped, half-smile nod, expecting him to ask about the commotion. He turned the corner, saying, "you are gorgeous".

Ugh.

Saint Rose of Lima, pray for me.

That's all.

Oh, and pretend I have a better catch phrase.

1 Comments:

  • Yes! Yes! I found your blog! (from Crescat to Ruthie to Nick to "Alice from San Francisco"--it's Six Degrees of Chicago Blogging)

    By Blogger Maureen, at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home