Fourth Wall

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

End-of-Semester Mad Libs

From Celticist Roommate:
"I wish I had been more [adjective] about [course title] over the course of the semester."

I think the MA exam went alright. I'll know Monday.

We have a mystery smell in our refrigerator eluding the best efforts of Celticist Roommate, Italian Late Medieval History Roommate, and myself.

Our knives have started to disappear. I blame CR's elf, or perhaps her boyfriend.

I almost--ALMOST--kicked Kolya out of my house last night for asserting (in regards to "The Irish Problem") "The problem is that both sides are right. The Irish are right, as the English should be Catholic. But the English are right, as they should be ruling Ireland."

Our large and expanding collection of tupperware-like plastic containers may be plotting our downfall.

Things we have learned from the U(C) blog network this week:
1) Don't lurk. If you actually know someone and you're reading their blog, let them know.
2) Assume that people are lurking.

I have one hour to get up the courage to go see my Social History professor about my final paper. Then I get to spend the afternoon in the library. The only hope of survival is the wearing of cute skirts and heeled shoes for the next week to try to convince myself that I'm doing a real job.

The first passage on the PhD exam was about an Italian fellow getting very worked up and weeping while recounting the Fall of Rome. CR and I are now in the habit of saying in unison, "oh, Rome!" and putting our hands to our foreheads in a woeful manner. Time will only tell how long KB and her boyfriend will put up with this behavior.

How do I spell "colo(u)r" for a paper written for an Iowan professor who has been living in Canada for decades? I'm leaning towards the British/Canadian spelling, to go along with my threat to write the entire literary analysis in the voice of a 1930's Jesus College Celtic Literary Scholar.

3 Comments:

  • It's spelled colour not color. :)
    You should spell it the way you would if you were writing just for you. No one doesn't interpret it as a preferential choice. You will never be able to figure out which version will "impress" the intended reader most - and even if you did... do you really want to impress someone over something so pointless?

    By Blogger heather, at 1:43 PM  

  • "I almost--ALMOST--kicked Kolya out of my house last night for asserting (in regards to "The Irish Problem") 'The problem is that both sides are right. The Irish are right, as the English should be Catholic. But the English are right, as they should be ruling Ireland.'"

    I suppose I'm not the first gentleman of quality to have an evil doppelganger. Though my reply probably would be, "And since you are apparently operating in a world of pure fantasy, Rowan Williams shall rule Armagh, Marilyn McCord-Adams shall rule Dublin, and the Pope shall be Njonkulu Ndungane."

    By Blogger Caelius, at 1:32 PM  

  • In that spirit, please know that I read your blog sporadically.

    By Blogger David, at 2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home