Fourth Wall

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Whee!

Sadly, this is a post without pictures because I was kinda spacy yesterday and forgot my camera.

I haven't been writing about knitting of late because everything I have knit has turned stupid and had to be ripped out. I finally got up my courage to go back to the never-ending Clapotis shawl earlier this week, and I can see the end in sight (especially as I've made early-mornings dedicated knitting-for-my-sanity time). This morning I wound the LAST SKEIN into a ball as I brewed coffee. I feel a little like the medieval scribes: "here ends the first book of the Summa of Thomas Aquinas, thanks be to God, thanks be to God". I don't lack love for the knitting of the Clapotis... I just want to wear it before it gets too warm to do so.

Starting up again has gotten me back on track with my other knitting projects, I note, because the long needles for the Clapotis are really not appropriate if you, say, are going to go sit in a crowded theatre on your campus and listen to the Yarn Harlot.

The babies were cute, I talked to people who are NOT MEDIEVALISTS (which I sorely needed), I made some knitting friends, and I made progress on both my own sock and KB's second birthday sock (yes, his birthday was February 26th, shut up-- it's been hibernating ever since I ran out of yarn in a pub at another student's birthday celebration), and her speech on the benefits of knitting for our patience and concentration made me feel entirely validated in the time I take from memorizing Latin verbs and thinking about Celtic saints to make things far more tangible. (And if you think of the number of people who will appreciate really nicely made hand knit socks as opposed to the number of people who will appreciate your ability to, say, put together a presentation on sadistic eroticism in Middle English saints' lives EVEN WHEN that wasn't the point of your paper abstract, I think the first group is significantly higher.)

And I was THIS CLOSE to the Yarn Harlot! I'm glad I didn't say anything to her, though, because that way I didn't spend the rest of the evening wondering if she thought I was annoying. Besides, it might disturb her teenagers to learn that someone this close to their own age thinks their mother is cool.

(I do sympathize with them, however, in the "my-parent-wrote-a-book-I-will-never-be-able-to-explain" category.)

PS: I know that KB is a keeper because he thinks Tricoteuses Sans Frontières is "awesome". I was pretty certain he was a keeper because whenever I get really low and think I can't do anything right, he adds "your knitting" to reasons he thinks I'm smart, but this clinched it.

PPS: Steph, if you ever run into this post, my roommate and I ENTIRELY sympathize with the "mistaking a chocolate sliver for a comma" problem.

PPPS: As much as I want to go cavort with non-medievalist knitters, I need to remember that when I say, "I study medieval religious history, because that's where the money is," not everyone is going to understand that I'm being facetious.

PPPPS: I concluded, while winding the yarn into a ball by hand, that for Christmas/my next birthday mama is getting me a swift, and KB is getting me a ball winder.

2 Comments:

  • It was great to run into you!!

    (If you think that area is hard try specializing in Old Norse... even my committee is making me do other things...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 PM  

  • Yeah, see? Chocolate commas!! (Only... I don't really remember the original incident, so...)

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home