Fourth Wall

Saturday, January 05, 2008

New Year Thoughts

I don't eat well.

I mean, I love to cook. I grew up with both my parents in the kitchen. Mom taught me how to knead her homemade bread pretty much as soon as my hands were strong enough to do so. She read me "Little House in the Big Woods," and we planted vegetables in the back yard. My favorite sort of garden is a kitchen garden. Reading about food is one of my favorite pastimes-- and sometimes I even try to put that fancy French cuisine into practice (citation: my father's large-round-number birthday dinner in 2003, for which I served Cornish Game Hens in a port sauce).

Somewhere in Junior High, I became incredibly self-conscious about the amount I ate. My closest friends were guys, and I was obsessed with the need to appear small and delicate around them by not eating anything. So I'd take a vanilla yogurt and water to school... then walk home and binge on soda and chips and cookies.

I stopped dancing second year of High School, to make room for theater rehearsals and homework. I didn't gain much weight, though, because having decided to go Vegetarian, I was far more conscious of balancing my diet. Despite this, I hated my body-- so much so that my mother paid for Weight Watcher's subscriptions for both of us, hoping we could do it together and get me in a shape I liked before going off to College. (Irony here in that I spent that summer volunteering at a Soup Kitchen in the Castro... insert comment on socio-economic structures here.)

As so often happens, College didn't particularly help with anything. Soda, my great weakness, was readily available-- if not in the dining hall, then in the dorm vending machines with chips and candy bars I'd eat all night, staying up to write papers and do problem sets. I switched from Coke to Pepsi because I could drink more of it without feeling sick to my stomach, to facilitate all-nighters. When I wasn't drinking soda, I drank juice as a "healthier substitute". I packed my tea with sugar.

My eating habits didn't much improve once I had an apartment of my own. I was always too busy to go grocery shopping or cook, and ate with my friends at the dining hall. I sustained myself primarily on grilled-cheese-sandwiches-with-tomato and fries... with a soda on the side. I lived right down the street from CVS, which provided easy access to Cherry Coke and Peanut Butter Cups for working late into the night. Veronica and I would stay up until one, go get donuts and coffee, and then stay up even later.

Wales was full of excellent beer--which we went out to drink every night except Mondays-- and far, far too many potatoes. On my return I was once again a Vegetarian, in the hope of both losing the beer & potato weight and capturing the heart of a young man who had never touched meat. Once the semester started up again, I was eating like I always had. As I told Professor F, you don't want to know how many Peanut Butter Cups had to die for the writing of my BA thesis.

Unfortunately, Toronto, despite the easy access of Kensington market, hasn't proved much better. I've been relying on cheap chow mein (with the crispy noodles) from a take-out on Bloor Street. Somewhere along the line I developed an addiction to Pringles potato chips for when I'm writing my papers. I'm drinking too much coffee, not enough water-- and the local beer here isn't even good, but for some reason I order it anyway.

I see in myself the tendency to be careless about time for myself, including food preparation. I eat according to my emotions-- so I'll binge on chocolate and chips if I'm stressed, or writing (writing is SO an emotional state, don't tell me it isn't), but if I'm really into something that I'm doing, I'll forget to eat until it is far too late-- then I binge, and feel sick. I'll forget that eating well really does affect my ability to think, so I'll have macaroni-and-cheese out of a box with nary a vegetable in sight, to save twenty minutes for more... procrastinating.

All of which is a rather long-winded and somewhat self-serving background meditation to what I want to do this year. I'm not going to say that I want to lose weight (which I do) or that I want to eat healthier (which I do), but that I want to break this cycle I have with food. I don't want to see it anymore as a purely functional caulking for filling the hole in my stomach or my spirit when they hurt, or an annoyance that will take time I don't have. I'm tired of abusing caffeine because I don't know how to manage my time. I'm tired of late-night breakdowns because I don't know how to take care of myself by prioritizing. I want to take time for real pleasures, not false ones (reading a chapter of a book, rather than spending thirty minutes browsing cute cat pictures online, or savoring a Green & Black's bar piece-by-piece over several days, rather than swallowing a Snicker's bar only to wish immediately for more.)

And if, in the end, I can fit back into this dress--


(vintage 1950's. From looking at the inside, I think it's handmade by the original wearer, or someone close to her.)

Well, then, all the better.

6 Comments:

  • I am honored and amazed by your honesty, and by your determination. I recommend soliciting the help of a friendly University health center dietitian, as changing the way you think about food seems a daunting task even to me, a passive reader.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:52 PM  

  • I'd suggest a consultation with our favorite San Diegan on healthy meals you can make in advance and freeze, for all the times life breaks and you need food in less than 10 minutes flat.

    For me, I try to set aside time every weeknight when I get home from class to make a decent meal as a way to separate my time studying and my time at home. I usually try to make at least 2 portions during rough weeks, so the cooking is cathartic and I tend to have some nice home-cooked options. I also generally get pretty excited about my weekly trip down the street for groceries, so it helps. On rough days, I definitely go for the stash of cookies and brownies in the freezer, though I've found that having to toast/thaw them slows the binging process.
    As for soda, you may need to fully detox for a month or so (I needed about 6 weeks to kick chocolate last time around, so that's where my guess comes from).

    Maybe some of this helps? If you need any help with recipe ideas or anything, let me know.

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 10:23 PM  

  • I find that the freezer food often saves my weeknights from a trip to the Mexican take out place down the street. It is not that it is ready to eat all that fast, it is that I don't have to face figuring out what to do about dinner. I can usually come home and figure out that I want dinner in 45 minutes or so, but it is way better to not have to do anything for most of those 45 minutes and not to have to figure out what dinner will be.

    For me, I try to make sure that every weekend I draw up a menu for the week. I figure out what I will make, how many nights it will live for, and try to get some leftovers going before the weekend finishes. I also do all of the shopping on the weekend, which guilts me into making the things that I have bought. I usually try to make one real meal that I make from scratch and one meal from the freezer store. I usually end up filling in with one or more doses of eggs with vegetables in them and one dinner of cheesy fries and beer (really, it IS a dinner).

    As for freezer items (which all require the addition of salad or a veggie in an ideal world), here is some of what I have found to work out well: lasange, pastitsio, chicken pie (just wait to bake it until you have defrosted on all of these) and homemade chicken broth (comes with the pie) for making into soup by adding veggies and a grain.

    The key with all of this for me is removing the dinner choices from dinner time. I don't think straight when I'm hungry! I think about what I can shove in my mouth fastest.

    As for giving up candy bars for creative/assignment doing powers, good luck. If you figure out how to do it, please let me know. I maintain that I would never solve a math problem if it weren't for the magic of the chocolate bar. If you are merely looking to mitigate that effect, I suggest the fun sized bars (you have to stop to unwrap them more often) and trying to replace candy with a cup of tea in the early hours of the day (not as good, but better than nothing in my experience). Though I suppose that last idea doesn't work so well if you are having trouble with caffine or put sugar in your tea.

    In other news, I just made my first meal out of my new copy of Pepin's "Fast Food My Way." It was pretty good. Maybe that would be a way for you to go?

    Good luck. Let me know if you want freezer food recipies, or anything else.

    By Blogger anna, at 12:49 AM  

  • If you have the resources to get a book, a dietitian I work with highly recommends one called, "Intuitive Eating". The book is meant to deal with precisely the issues you're discussing here.

    And stuff like this is precisely why I made my "Sugar in my tea" facebook group (though I suppose the name is not quite appropriate here). The name refers to a song where a man suddenly realizes he's become bitter, old, alone, and disgusting; he longer enjoys the good things in life and wonders where it has all gone. "Sugar in my tea" is a metaphor for making the resolve to choose the best in life rather than settling for counterfeit goods, even if it takes a little bit of time and effort (though putting sugar in your tea is pretty quick). CS Lewis says that people spend most of their lives doing neither what they ought or what they would actually enjoy and that most people do not really want to be happy. Well, sorry for ranting about myself in your web-log post.

    By Blogger Mr. G. Z. T., at 8:11 AM  

  • I second the tea suggestion. It's a sort of alternate to pop or coffee as a drink that's also interesting, but no calories and ususally not much caffiene. Espeically if you like interesting kinds of tea which don't need sweetening, like the flowery kind. (Not the weird kind, but nice stuff like Mighty Leaf or good Lipton flavors.) If you got yourself a yummy kind of tea, that might help you bridge between eating lots of candy bars and nothing at all. Good luck!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 3:49 PM  

  • A recent study showed that people who ate an apple 15 minutes before a meal consumed something like 30% fewer calories than people who did not.

    i don't know that this is the answer. As you know, I'm also struggling with changing the way I eat. I'm right now just trying to reduce portion size and choosing the lower-fat alternative.

    I would bite the head off of a live nun for a basket of cheese fires right now.

    How 'bout this: I won't if you won't! We'll keep each other strong! Today I pledge to make healthy eating choices IF you pledge to do the same.

    By Blogger Aidan, at 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home