Fourth Wall

Thursday, December 27, 2007

News from Far & Wide, and too many quotes.

In response to the previous poll:

1) I, myself, care more that the music be leaning-towards-traditional in scope, for, as pointed out on NLM,
The music of the Mass is not of our choosing; it is not a matter of taste; it is not a glossy layer on top of a liturgy. Liturgical music is embedded within the structure of the liturgy itself: theologically, melodically, and historically.
Hymns are not part of the structure of Mass. Nothing in the Mass says: it is now time to sing a hymn of your choice. Hymns are permitted as replacements for what should be sung but only with reservations.
.
How convenient for the Mssrs. NLM and people like myself, that what has been recommended by every council is also in accordance with our taste.

Random, not-really-related quote from the evening that the MA-ers all got together to watch "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat":
Celticist Roommate: You know that little kid's song, "Moses led the people up from Egypt..."
Yrs. Truly: I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about.
C.R.: And you call yourself a Christian!
Yrs. T: I'm Catholic. I can sing "On Eagle's Wings" backwards, if you want.
Greg: Okay, that's just scary.

2) Since I have no home parish aside from Calvert House, that was obviously not an option. I love the Shrine because it is in North Beach, right around the block from our old apartment, so it has the feel of going home for Christmas. And I certainly don't think we should ask for a baptismal certificate at the door! There was quite a nice young woman in front of us (also wearing a Santa hat, that one with sequins) who sang along during the carols and shook hands with everyone at the peace. But this ONE COUPLE (and let us note that as soon as I sat down behind them I thought, "oh, I should move, this is going to be upsetting, but that would disturb everyone to move") who decided to come to Midnight Mass to watch it as a spectacle... talking and POINTING throughout the canon and the Eucharistic prayer made me feel like an animal in a zoo exhibit. I only wish I could have really let them get their money's worth, but I left both mantillas in Toronto. (Then the gentleman (term used with reservations) took it upon himself to go up to communion, as the girl with him waved him back and shook her head at him because she thought it was gross that the communion cup was communal.)

Okay. Rant over.

3) I don't think I'm going to cut my hair, and it has nothing to do with the sad puppy eyes my Canadian Kilt Boy* gives when he tells me that really, it would be okay with him. I'm a poor grad student with no free time. Really, I just need to find something to get the hair out of my way. The other day the phone got stuck in it.

It occurs to me, however, that my nomenclature may need some clarification: Kolya, the Platonic Boyfriend, really is just that... not really a boyfriend, despite the fact that I knit him hats and feed him on a regular basis.

My *actual* love life is more complicated and overlaps with the various religious questions I haven't been blogging about, perhaps because I've decided that the Blogosphere of the Shoreland Diaspora can really only handle one person's emo rantings.

*Yrs Truly: Tristan showed me his sporran!
(Irish) Celticist Roommate: ...uhmmmm...
Yrs Truly: It's the little purse that goes with the kilt. It's worn here.
(Irish) Celticist Roommate: Maybe you should explain what it is before indicating where it goes.

New News!
In New News from Far and Wide, the Viking called yesterday and we spent an hour and a half catching up. He's putting his raw, blond, masculinity to good use in some legal firm in Chicago working as as junior paralegal, so much of the discussion centered upon legal secretaries hitting on him, the lax nature of the dress code when called in on weekends, how unwise it would be to show up in not-pajamas in the office, and how unwise it would be to show up in not-pajamas on the CTA. We also talked about our conflicting views of when we met, the short, doomed period in which we were going on coffee dates, and him making exercise playlists for his friends' hamster's wheel-running sessions (before you ask: ragtime).

In other New News from far and wide, because Debbie LaV loves me, I got a Christmas card and the LaV family newsletter, such that I can report to all you Shorelanders that Dawn is doing a one-year internship at the Abbey of Regina Laudis doing all sorts of farm chores she's always wanted to know how to do. Sr. Diana received the habit on October 30, 2006 and writes letters home every month, and Nick got married. To quote, "The LaV family proudly announces that A.E.B. has courageously joined our (somewhat crazy) bunch and is now A.E.LaV. As you can see, she brings beauty, charm and grace with her, which we hope will rub off on the rest of us!" I'm sure that those of you who knew them would argue that the LaV girls are themselves charming and beautiful, but can agree that it would take some courage to join the family.

This is long, I need to go meet my mother downtown to make some necessary ameliorations of my wardrobe, and I'm sure you're all bored. So I'll just say one more thing: Heya, Aidan! I, too, wish I were still in Chicago, but I will say nice-to-meet-you-albeit-electronically, particularly as a kippa-ed gentleman of my acquaintance from Chicago and I were just discussing how we wished we'd run into you while there. I've heard of the Sinsinawa Dominicans, but I'm not sure if it was due to their retreats, or because their name is still on the sign to St. Thomas's school.

2 Comments:

  • If you sing "On Eagle's Wings" backwards, you can hear the secret message: "FELT BANNERS..."

    ...perhaps because I've decided that the Blogosphere of the Shoreland Diaspora can really only handle one person's emo rantings.

    Yeah, I guess it's gotten a little out of hand.

    Nemo, you've got to tone it down a bit...

    By Blogger Patrick, at 6:49 PM  

  • Maybe it you have too much hair to pull back, just go for the top layer, which means it will stay out of your face, or go for an anna-style braid or pigtails (which I always find amusing)?

    If you need to rant, you always know that I'm happy to listen. Also, your rants are a little less rambly, so they're actually easier to work through (no offense intended, 'nemo'). Just thought I should point that out . . .

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home