Fourth Wall

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Missive from the T.C.

So, Carolynska and I went out the other night to a late show of "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," which comes highly recommended if you like the sort of escapism where the people who know dead languages are the best-looking people out there. As a medievalist, this tickles me to no end.

That said, one of the early scenes in the movie portrays Nicholas Cage giving a lecture. I'm always amused by lecture scenes, particularly the infamous example in The DaVinci Code where it seems all you need to do to give a lecture is show slides entirely unrelated to one another, ask the audience for their assumptions, and then zoom out on the slide to demonstrate how you have tricked them. How brilliant!

Anyway, going back to National Treasure, I'm not sure where there are lecture halls in which a video of those asking questions is projected on a screen behind the speaker.

This, however, brings me to my question. I'm sure you notice cinematic portrayals of, if not academics, your particular profession (I can't think of any movie paralegals, sorry, Aidan). What are some of the best? Or the worst?

I don't see many movies, so I can only think of the professor in Spider Man: 2 (I think) and, of course, Indiana Jones.

What can you guys come up with?

PS: Caelius is back! Yay!

PPS: We saw the preview for the next Narnia. I'm excited.

PPPS: Tomorrow night in Toronto!

8 Comments:

  • As you might expect, I can name two film portrayals of paralegals off the top of my head! Erin Brockovich, played by the amazing Julia Roberts, and Deck Shifflet in The Rainmaker, plaid by the equally amazing Danny Devito. (In the film his character claims to be a "paralawyer", which tickles me to no end.)

    As for which is the more realistic representation, I would have to say Erin Brockovich. We are both 5'10" tall, we both have big, bouncy breasts and we both wear clothes that are a little tight. Of course I'm an overweight, middle-aged man, but other than that, we are twins.

    By Blogger Aidan, at 9:48 PM  

  • (Sorry about the name misspelling, it's been a great vacation but not entirely conducive to proper thinking or typing.)

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 10:13 PM  

  • One the one hand, Swordfish, Hackers, Sneakers, Anti-trust; on the other, Napoleon Dynamite, Office Space, pretty much everything else.

    For "best" representation of a University of Chicago adademic: The Core.

    By Blogger Nemo, at 2:42 AM  

  • Mathematicians are well-trammeled ground. In movies I've seen, Proof is (naturally) the most true to life; A Beautiful Mind is the least.

    By Blogger Patrick, at 2:41 PM  

  • Nemo, I think you've missed perhaps the best computer-scientist-saves-the-world movie: Independence Day.

    Isn't it convenient that the alien mothership is mac compatible?

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 5:43 PM  

  • I'd forgotten about that one . . .

    I think I only get villians (the people who made Wolverine, Bionic Woman and a few others). I can't think of any movies where my field gets the spotlight in the form of a main character that's actually practicing. Maybe we're all just too boring?

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 6:35 PM  

  • Come on Patrick -- we both know that Pi was the most accurate protrayal of a mathematician in cinema.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

  • I'm really disappointed that few movies really depict the life of an evil genius bent on world domination quite correct.

    By Blogger Mr. G. Z. T., at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home