Fourth Wall

Sunday, December 23, 2007

IN a fit of procrastinatory procrastination, I updated the sidebar. Some new links, more later if I remember, which I probably won't.

I'm one page-- ONE PAGE of conclusion away from letting the door hit the ass of this [expletive] [expletive] [welsh expletive] paper on its way out, after which I plan to spend my Christmas in denial. Hmmm... yummy, yummy denial.


So, before I go off and write some crap about relic cults and how women's bodies were seen by medieval clerics as meat-sacks of rotting demonic iniquity (that's a technical term), here's a little segment from today's Christmas decorating party with gals from High School.

(Instrumental music ends)
C: Tequila!
Everyone else: Huh?
C: Wasn't that the song that was playing?
A: C., that was "Frosty the Snowman".

Addenda: This is why we don't finish our papers at three in the morning.

I ALMOST (but I caught myself) wrote the sentence:

"Another fruitful line of inquiry would be to compare the affective writings about the saints of the early church—the only saints who appear in Christine’s work— with the devotional practices of female saints who lived closer to Christine’s own time, such as Catherine of Siena. Caroline Walker Bynum’s Holy Feast, Holy Fast, as well as Rudolph M. Bell’s Holy Anorexia, could provide much food for thought..."

5 Comments:

  • 1) Linked. I suppose this means I should actually update more than once every few weeks. Bah! Good!

    2) "procrastinatory procrastination." Hmm...your Hebrew syntax is improving I see. No, no I actually mean that.

    One of the features of the language is to repeat a word's root twice for emphasis. This happens often in the Bible, and in modern Hebrew as well, with there being a formula for just how to repeat the root, quite like the example you just made up (even though English words lack proper roots).

    3) I'm pretty sure you could have claimed the insanity defence if you had put that last sentence in.

    Not that it reminds me of this at all, but http://www.danieldrezner.com/archives/003637.html

    I'm in the midst of trying to think of what to enter when the students get to submit work from their professors. I think I might even have something too....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 AM  

  • Wouldn't that be "procrastination of procrastinations"? Biblical Latin* translates that, as well as other interesting Hebrew syntactical features (albeit by way of Greek). Hence: saecula saeculorum



    *I first typed "Biblical Welsh". I need more sleep.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 2:12 PM  

  • I've written worse than that in papers, but I was sick out of my mind and had consumed nothing in the past twenty-four hours but cup after cup of strong Earl Grey.

    But really, I write to complain that despite all your supposed sidebar-updating, I get no sidebar-updating love. No love!

    By Blogger Nemo, at 3:18 PM  

  • Dear Nemo:

    You're right, I suck. Everytime I notice the error, I think, "I should fix that sometime". Here's some love for you.

    Yrs,

    A.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 10:19 PM  

  • Dear Alice,
    I always forget the URL for Nemo's page, so the way I usually get there is going to your web-log, clicking on the link on the side, and then clicking on the redirect. It's horribly inefficient.

    I'm rather annoyed that, in English, it is bad style to use the same root twice in a row like that. It is permissible, normal, and expected in Greek and Sanskrit. I seem to recall from the introduction of one of my copies of Beowulf that it is a feature of Old English, as well; they remarked that a literal translation of a certain line would refer to a "strength-strong thane" or something. Please to confirm? I thought that was rather awesome.
    cheers,
    g z t

    By Blogger Mr. G. Z. T., at 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home