Fourth Wall

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sometimes, the Letter Home Says it All

Dear Mama,

I hope your class goes well tomorrow and that they appreciate all your preparation. I'm absolutely swamped with Spanish History and have begun referring to Yitzakh Baer (with whose "History of the Jews in Christian Spain, Vol. 2" I have spent an inordinate amount of time this weekend) as "Yitz" in my head. Note to self: must remember not to do this when presenting tomorrow a.m.

Kelly and I went to Lettuce Knit so that I could buy needles. Bought: one set of #2 sock needles, and one 5' long circular for a scarf pattern I am designing somewhat in my head (knit lengthwise, hence the 5'). The kitten was not there, which was probably good, otherwise Kelly would never have wanted to leave and I would have been tempted to buy more yarn. Then we saw a life-size anamatronic dancing Santa Claus whose 'moves' bore a rather disturbing resemblance to those of Peter, Kelly's beau. Not in the yarn shop, out on Spadina. Sorry for the incoherence; it's been a long weekend.

Weather is miserable. Snow (yay!), and then an ice storm that, as Kelly said, forgot to freeze. I got lost on the way to the 4:30 mass at St. Basils (right across the Street from both PIMS and Urbana... i.e, where I go EVERY DAY) because I tried a new route to avoid the slush, but couldn't read the street signs with rain on my glasses. Went to Evensong with Tristan instead and when we got back to my apartment (he was afraid I'd get lost if he didn't chaperone) we were both properly soaked.

Plans are afoot (betwixt me and Kelly) to spend an evening this week avoiding papers by making latkes and having a dramatic reading of "Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins". If I'm really together I'll go to Zimmerman's and look for chocolate, too.

WHICH REMINDS ME, speaking of chocolate shaped like money, that the feast of St. Nicholas is arriving and I must needs acquire: 1) a teddy bear, 2) a hair brush, 3) a name tag that says, "Hello, my name is Aloysius" in order to torment our favorite Russian Orthodox Sebastian.

Due to my distressing habit of forgetting that I need food and then bingeing on junk, I have just received an e-mail from my boy reminding me to eat something; "coffee cake does not a dinner make." Leftover yellow curry: preventing scurvy in your northern-clime-dwelling daughter since Fall, 2007.

Love,
Alice

2 Comments:

  • Habesne puerum? Quando accidit? suavis est curare te scorticibile.

    By Blogger Caelius, at 8:17 PM  

  • I'm getting to dislike certain ironies more and more, but I do find it funny that you are making latkes this year while this is probably the one Chanukah (Did I spell that right? ;-))I may not have any for the holiday. My mother is now here visiting and she is usually the ones who makes them at home...but obviously not this time.

    On the other hand, in order to compensate, every bakery and food shop is selling suvfganiot (jelly doughnuts) so there is much sweetness around.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home