Fourth Wall

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Last Weekend

We seem to be in a sort of stare-down, Patrick and I, as to who is going to post first about last weekend. Because he prefers to write opinions, rather than personal stuff (and I am the opposite,) and a good relationship is about giving in, and because I have nothing else to do while waiting for dinner, I'm going to go first.

Last Friday, I got home from work, and was just settling down (as Genevieve wove herself between my ankles), when the phone rang. I was quite surprised to hear Patrick on the other end of the line. After remarking that I was expecting his call on Sunday, I rambled on for a good while on topics of no real consequence, until finally curiosity got the better of me.

Alice: So why won't you be able to call on Sunday?
Patrick: Well... I'm going to be there on Sunday.
Alice: WHAT?
Patrick: Spontaneous roadtrip.
(some time, and conversation, passes)
Alice: So when are you arriving?
Patrick: Oh, around 10:00 tonight.
Alice: I'm going to sit down.

So I had Patrick to myself all the way through late Sunday afternoon. We had dim sum, went to the beach, and went to the St. Francis Soda Fountain for milkshakes (unfortunately, despite my requests, it looks like the Root Beer Milkshake has been permanently retired).
Mass on Sunday, followed by burritos from El Toro Taqueria, and an indoor picnic (because the weather was so gloomy.) Patrick got to meet Fr. Vitto, my favorite priest at St. Cecelia's.

It was a lovely, lovely, weekend, and a wonderful surprise.

Patrick was apologizing to my mother for the short notice. She had a pretty good response.

Mom: Oh, that's ok, this way we don't need to listen to her complain about how she's not in San Luis Obispo.

Oh, dear me. I do love that boy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home