Fourth Wall

Thursday, July 22, 2004

I thought that I should tell those of you who were worrying about her health and my sanity that Genevieve has shown great improvement. I think it was Monday when she tried to leap up on the compost bin and missed. When we took her to the vet, she had a fever of 104.5 degrees. They gave her fluids (for the second time), took a blood test (for the second time), took an x-ray of her lungs, and put her on antibiotics. All the tests came back clear, with no explanation for why my not-even-two-years-old kitten was refusing food and water, sleeping all the time, and unable to make jumps that she usually does without thinking.

Well, we have been feeding her delicacies to get her to eat (tuna, hamburger meat, goldfish food-- the vet said, "She ate what? The little flakes?" Well, yeah, she likes them). We had to take her to get more fluids on Tuesday, but now her energy is back, her fever is down, and she just, finally, took a drink of water out of the bathroom faucit. We are much relieved-- it really seemed as if we were going to lose her for a while there.

Now, of course, I can worry about the other poor animals we saw in the waiting room those long evenings-- the tiny dog whose toe had been bitten off by a larger one, the cat who had a seizure, the labradoodle puppy (so cute) who had a bad reaction to his vaccination-- and a whole range of owners, from fashionista yuppie women (labradoodle) to a middle-aged mom whose kids had probably seen their cat's seizure, to old women and men whose pets were their only companions.

Speaking of elderly men with pets, I made an interesting discovery yesterday-- it turns out that there is a Mrs. Tony. We had all assumed that Tony, of Tony & Scooter, the human-dog combination that always seems to be going for a walk, was a widower, but no. His wife is alive, but ill, and they have had nurses staying in the house to take care of her.

I had a plethora of errands to do yesterday. I bought my grandmother's 90th birthday present (jewelery, of course), went to the bank, bought shampoo and other sundry toiletries, had the battery in my watch replaced, had lunch (went to a taqueria and had real nachos... the type you need to eat with a fork), went downtown to the Pauline bookstore, had my nails done, and bought a hostess gift for the girls who I am staying with in San Luis Obispo. When I got home I had to go to the bank again (had another check to deposit) and go to walgreens. I was exhausted.

And I get to do the same sort of thing again today, because I bought the same book twice at the Pauline Books & Media store, and am going to try to exchange it for a different volume of the same series.

So that is my life. Today is the feast day of St. Mary Magdalen, so I'm leaving for mass soon, and then meeting Matt for crepes in West Portal. Andrew, unfortunately, cannot help celebrate, as he had his wisdom teeth out yesterday. Early tomorrow morning, I leave for a weekend in San Luis Obispo. I am staying with the only girl in the math program (how mathy), who the boys did not know existed for the first few days (very mathy). I hope I leave early tomorrow morning, at least, because when Patrick took the same train, it was delayed three hours. If it's delayed I'm going to go insane with boredom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home