Fourth Wall

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

ITEMS: One, Two, Three

Item One: When I can get my act together, I go to the parish run by the Oratorians for a Latin N.O. mass. Maybe forty percent of the women in attendance cover their heads for the service. There is an old woman somewhat notorious both among the Centrefolk who attend the Oratory masses and the seminarians who live there for wearing a mantilla that consists of a lacy representation of Our Lady of Fatima appearing to the three children. KB's little Anglican soul was immensely disappointed when she was nowhere to be found the first time he came with us. He accompanied me yet again this past Sunday, however, and there she was sitting in the pew right across the side aisle from us.

Being in close proximity, however, meant that I got a good view of her mantilla as she returned from the communion rail. It does not say "Fatima". It says, "Lourdes".

This opens two possibilities. Perhaps we were mistaken, and her mantilla has always said "Lourdes." Perhaps, however, (and this is a thought that chills to the bone,) there are TWO marian mantilla ladies, each with mantillas from a separate miracle sight.

KB has informed me that I may in no way purchase or knit a mantilla with an image of Our Lady of Walsingham. (He ruins all my fun. When we went to the ROM on Friday to see the dinosaurs, he would simply not accept that adopting a juvenile sauropod (like that on display-- it had a lot of growing up to do) would be a perfect way to keep weeds down in the back yard. The problem, he pointed out, is that they do grow up and he wasn't sure the neighbors for three doors down would much appreciate his tail in their gardens. I counter that Clifford the Big Red Dog's (tm, probably) neighbors got on just fine.)

Item Two: Last night I had a nightmare that the conference for which I am writing an abstract wanted only the title of the paper, and I had to make it compelling in under twenty words. I was simultaneously relieved and terrified both in the dream and upon waking.

Item Three: I think I may be writing about the Katherine Group Middle English texts just so I can cite Tolkien in an academic manner.

3 Comments:

  • Your Celticist Roommate wants a sauropod pet too, if our visit to the ROM is any indication. That'll make finding a place to live for next year more challenging than otherwise!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:53 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Nemo, at 12:20 PM  

  • Once again, an Internet has provided an answer: Tiny Dinosaurs.

    By Blogger Nemo, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home