Fourth Wall

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

THIS JUST IN

So, yesterday was this fake holiday, "Family Day," made up by the Government of Ontario, and a whole bunch of museums and so forth tried to benefit by adding special family-friendly activities. KB and I were much amused, in our Saturday morning reading of the Globe and Mail over breakfast (he came over and made me scones!) to discover that the Royal Ontario Museum had decided to mark the day by unveiling "Gertie," a 90-ft "balloonosaurus" as a "girlfriend" to their resident large dino fossil.

The subsequent, non-family-appropriate jokes are left as an exercise to the reader.

So I was on the phone with Tricky this afternoon, procrastinating on Chapter 9 of Hugh of St. Victor, and I recounted this event. He lost no time in getting the joke, and was quite distressed by it.

"You know," I sad, "neither of us really went so far as *imagining* a possible scenario."
"Well," he replied, "I just really *like* dinosaurs. Oh, shoot, wait, no..."

...

2 Comments:

  • I really don't know what they see in each other. He's so bony, and she.... well, let's face it, she's basically full of gas. Plus, it's obvious that she's MUCH younger than he is. And I'm sure they have very different values. I tell you it'll never work.

    See what you miss by stopping at the most obvious joke?

    By Blogger Nemo, at 10:54 PM  

  • Well, actually, the first comments went along the lines of,

    A: What does a fossil need in a girlfriend?
    KB: Well, after hundreds of thousands of years in the ground, you'd be lonely, too.

    The conversation only took a turn for the worse when the topic returned several hours later.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home