Fourth Wall

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Some Observations.

1) Dominicans should not use the word "sucks". This holds true even when trying to "connect to the youth," but is especially true at 8:30 am masses full of old ladies.

2) When I go to 8:30 am mass, I forget it is Sunday. (I attribute it to a phenomenon something like this one, but less conducive to productivity. I realized it was Sunday when I found myself wondering, "why are all these people talking about the Super Bowl? Since when is the Super Bowl on a Saturday?"

3) I offer a short, very very rough translation from my Middle Welsh assignment for the week. Our ironic hero has just tied the bad guy up in a magic bag and given it over to his men for their entertainment.

"And as each one of his host went inside, each one struck at the bag with a blow, and asked, "what is in here?"
"A badger," they answered.
This is the kind of game they played: each one would strike a blow at the bag either with his foot or with his staff; and so they played with the bag. When each entered he asked, "what game are you playing in this way?"
"The game, 'badger in the bag,'" said the others. And so first was played 'badger in the bag'.

There is not enough punctuation in the world to express my confusion at the point of this little story. The note suggests that it either represents two, separate, imperfectly synthesized accounts, or that the redactor thought it was so funny he decided to make it funner with extra description.

1 Comments:

  • Ok, see, now my reaction was: They did this commonly enough that they needed a name for it?!
    "Hey guys, I'm bored."
    "Yeah me too."
    "I know! Let's play badger-in-the-bag!"
    "You're the badger this time, I call!"
    "What?"
    "I had to do it last time!"
    "Oh fiiiinnneeee...."
    ...And we think our kids are getting violent with video-games - at least they're not playing this stuff!!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home