Fourth Wall

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sorry, sorry, I got lost somewhere in the twelfth century for a while, but here's a quick update.

Item One:
The publications office that is supposed to sell us our Latin books is always, always closed. This means that I was photocopying the necessary Latin from Kolya's edition for both my own use, and that of Italian Late Medieval History roommate, who has a bad cold. An Arthurian scholar from my Latin class asked me to photocopy the entire book for him (in exchange for a coffee). Some observations:

A) That is illegal.
B) I don't own the book myself, I'm merely borrowing Kolya's. If he wants to photocopy the entire thing, he should borrow one himself.
C) He himself owns the book.
C) a) He doesn't want to write in his book.
C) b) He doesn't want to photocopy his own book because he doesn't want to crack the spine.

This all ended with me informing him, rather too loudly, in the middle of the coffee shop, "I will not be a party to your fetishizing of the British Book of Kings!"

("What does he want to *do* with it?" asked ILMH Roommate. "Worship it like a Pagan God," suggested Kilt Boy.)

Item Two:
Plans are afoot for Burns Night. I have been informed that, if Kilt Boy wears his kilt, he may be hit on/have his tush grabbed by both Chaucer Scholar and her boyfriend. I am planning on taking a big stick to ward them off.

Item Three:
The Ancrene Wisse is really, really hard Middle English-- closer to Old English than Middle, really, and it's been even longer since I took Mid E. That is why I am currently not in Middle Welsh, but am translating Latin to give myself more time for the AW later today.

Item Four:
I have to lead discussion in Medieval Social History on Thursday morning.

Item Five:
AABB rhyming Medieval Latin prose makes me want to put my eyes out with my mechanical pencil. (Although I had the same problem reading the Libro de Buen Amor last term, so maybe it's a rhyme scheme problem). Give me alliterative verse or give me... uhm, not death. Sonnets?

Item Six:
Vanessa came to visit. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for the following conversation:
Customs Agent: Why are you going to Toronto?
Vanessa: Uh... to see the shoe museum?
Customs Agent: Any gifts for people in Toronto?
Vanessa: A large Chicago-style spinach pizza?

Item Seven:
It's snowing!

Other than this, there's not a great deal going on that doesn't involve that-boy-with-a-kilt-from-BC, and we're hoping to visiting Chicago in April.

3 Comments:

  • These observations make far more sense after actually meeting several of the people involved.

    Also, they asked if I had any food, not gifts.

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 7:58 PM  

  • Visiting Chicago?! Yay!!!! ^_^

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 7:07 PM  

  • Is a big bi four-way a Burns Night tradition? I haven't read Finnegans Wake in 25 years, but I'm sure I would have remembered if it had been in there.

    It is an absolute fact -- one you will have to come to terms with if you and Kilt Boy continue courting -- all women and almost all men (including straight ones) find a guy in a kilt very tasty. I told my Myfanwe I wanted to purchase a kilt and she wouldn't allow it. I asked why she was so adamant, and her reply was "I don't want people pawing my good thing. I get jealous." G-d bless her.

    By Blogger Aidan, at 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home