Fourth Wall

Friday, January 25, 2008

You know where liars go, don't you?

Well, I have almost entirely survived the week. I have met a goal of being able to translate for every Latin class (this goal will be especially met if I learn the vocab in time to pass the quiz-by-shame that our TA will be giving us in two hours). Even more exciting: in the first two weeks of class I have completed my discussion-leading requirements for both my seminars.

What else? Our current Latin text, a metrical (dactylic hexameter, AABB) history of the Kings of Britain, is really hard. Every once in a while I have fond flashbacks to reading Seneca. Then it gets hard again.

On Monday I spilled coffee on everything in my bookbag: Rule of St. Benedict in Latin, Ancrene Wisse in Med English, my wallet, my Latin Dictionary, my planner... everything. Somehow the coffee cup slipped out of my hand at a perfect time to punctuate the statement, made by a classmate, that the myth of Brutus's trip to Britain represents the eastward migration of prehistoric peoples.

But, now that Steph has gone public, I feel like I can direct you Got Guilt?, straight from the fertile and twisted imagination of Cameron and Steph's artistic abilities.

Some warnings apply: this comic is really not suitable for those who find themselves offended by... well, anything, but let's call it "sibling-rivalry-like jokes about violence against Protestants." Martha Nussbaum fangirls should probably avoid it as well.

Harrison's cartoon self is particularly... on-the-mark.

(Note you can click on everything to make it bigger.)

Some of the favorites that keep me sane are my cameo with Carolyn, Steph tries to take Veronica to 300, an example of the sort of thing Fr. Pat needs to put up with from his charges, Steph's desire to be a martyr, and the one that particularly makes me laugh my head off with the "Dress like your Doll" effect in panel 3.

Not to mention, of course, Comic 11, which has become something of a cartoon motto for my friends at the Centre.

My character was cut from the main storyline, but Steph sent me the character sketch for your edification... as you can see, the description was written when I was still with the Haberdasher'd fellow.


(Click for bigger.)


PS: Tommy A's statue really does come to the party in his honor. See?


(Insert "gag" from His Haberdasherdness)

But it's not the worst indignity to which he's been subjected:

2 Comments:

  • Thomas Aquinas didn't have a clue. I mean, he actually wants you to believe that animals have inferior souls, inherently corrupted, and incapable of salvation.

    Anyone who knew our beloved Spike, z"l, would be able to tell you without question that it is not a question of being incapable of salvation...they are not IN NEED of salvation.

    This all reminds me of the old Emo Phillips line about sitting in a theater when someone comes up and asks him if the seat next to him is saved. He replies, "In that Thomas Aquinas reasoned that animals were incapable of attaining salvation, how likely is it that an inanimate object could make it to heaven?"

    I have been waiting 20 years for someone to ask me if a seat is saved...

    By Blogger Aidan, at 3:58 PM  

  • Thank you for the shameless plug, by the way. And Happy St. Thomas Day to you.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home