Fourth Wall

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Beating the DMV

If a blog is a way of getting out on the internet and announcing "I'm alive!", I've been doing a very poor job of it recently. Here, then, is the requisite update.

I. Clip-n-Keep Section: A Cast of Characters

Robert is a classics graduate student at the University of Chicago. He's one of Dawn's closest friends, and the father of the family I'm living with this year. He's a smart man, with wide-ranging interests, who (with his family) is in the process of converting to Eastern Orthodoxy. He's spending this quarter in San Antonio as a visiting professor at Trinity college.

Dianna is Robert's wife, and my 'landlady'. She teaches Bradley Method natural childbirth classes and works as a Doula. She's also in charge of the house and is homeschooling her daughters. I like her a great deal, and admire her parenting (especially as she's alone this quarter). I'm enjoying living with her.

Grace is five (and a half). She likes her ballet class, being read to, drawing, horses, pretty clothes and shoes, and bossing around her younger sister.

Ada is three. She's even more energetic than Grace, and has a very active imagination--but is still young enough to crawl into your lap to cuddle when she wants to be "loved on". She's having some temper tantrums and crying spells now, but she's trying hard to be good.

Dora is a Gordon Setter Mix. She's a beautiful big dog with a too-human personality (she sighs when she's lonely). We had a bit of a scare last week--she was having some kidney trouble-- but she seems to be feeling much better.

Winnie is the little dog, who likes to bark and play and nose around. She's pretty, with a classic hound coloring (like a mini Hektor, if you've seen the Compton House mascot), but is driving everyone nuts with her bad behavior.

Agatha is a Calico cat who spends much of her time outdoors. I love Agatha's company, but she keeps to herself. It is an honor when she shows up at the foot of the bed.

Jack ("Jackie for short," say the girls, which I think is hilarious) is a twelve-week-old black kitten with white spots. He's too cute for his own good, especially when he tries to play with the dogs by batting at Dora's tail.

II. What I'm Doing: Classes

Latin 101 with Phil Venticinque: Phil has been at the U of C for nine years, and it shows. He's classic Chicago, with a dorky sense of humor ("I come bearing chairs, like Caesar into Gaul"), a sound knowledge of both history and latin, and an addiction to Tab.

Medieval Women's Religious Writing, with Lucy Pick: Too much Gender, not enough Studies. I love Lucy Pick, so I'm trying hard to give this class a chance, but it's difficult.

Old English with Christina Von Nolken: I'm not sure how the language is going to be--so far we have been very technical, with the history and philology of Old English, but CVN is great. I can see why Emily and Margaret loved her so much.

War in the Middle Ages, with Rachel Fulton: This class kicks ass, despite the final project, which is to write a narrative. (Miller suggests, "He fell in the mud...I ran him through with my spear.")

III. What I'm Doing: Not Classes

Working as a Sacristan. Rosary at Calvert every day. Laundry. Dishes. Playing with Grace and Ada. Maravillas with Amanda. Chai with Charlotte. Studying with Maggie. Talking to Patrick. Talking to Patrick some more. Staring out the Calvert House window. Raiding the Calvert Kitchen. Talking to Patrick even more. Drinking tea. Procrastinating on writing a blog post. Drinking more tea. Not studying with Maggie. Talking to Patrick yet again. Making a tea-enduced bathroom run. Lunch with Tom. Writing to Grandma. Playing with Jack. Eating dinner. Talking to Patrick.

IV. Blogging Fame by Association

One new student at the Div School this year is Dan (n.b: the last thing I need in my life is yet another man named Daniel), of Shrine of the Holy Whapping. I don't actually read the blog that often, because I have the attention span of a fruit fly, but I was pretty much rendered speechless when he told me that he'd started it. He gave me a ride to mass on Saturday Morning (Feast of St. Therese), which I greatly appreciated.

V. Breckie of the week.

I love Geoff's Blog. It's probably my current favorite thing on the internet.

3 Comments:

  • I'm flattered, but I'm no Breckie. I've got a question: too many posts with random song lyrics, or not enough posts with random song lyrics? Keep in mind that the next couple weeks I'll be listening almost exclusively to Palestrina, Arvo Part, and Of Montreal.

    By Blogger Mr. G. Z. T., at 9:58 PM  

  • Boo. I want War in the Middle Ages. Instead, I'm stuck with Western Civ I, which is really boring.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 AM  

  • Ah, your inimitable style. I chuckled particularly hard at the structure of Part III.

    Oh, I do hope that MWRW (a.k.a. "Green Notebook") gets more interesting soon!

    By Blogger Patrick, at 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home