Fourth Wall

Monday, August 15, 2005

Happy Feast of the Assumption!

Or Dormition, if you swing eastwards. We're celebrating here with yellow cake frosted in buttercream, with a big blue "M", pink roses (for Mary's beauty) and white lillies (for Mary's purity) all done on top.

Today was a good day to stay in bed. The fog was so heavy in the Sunset ("They call it the Sunset because the sun set one day and never came back") that you couldn't see the top of St. Cecilia's and the five-minute walk from the Muni stop to mass made me very wet. I cheered myself by having breakfast at the Squat & Gobble Cafe, where I learned that Muhammed (the waiter who always flirts with me) is from Jordan. That explains why I couldn't place the accent. He was excited to learn that I am studying history, because his father is a history teacher.

Meme follow up: I've received complaints that I have "violated the spirit of the meme" and "shanghied" people into doing this. I'm not particularly sorry. Patrick would have asked, anyway. Vanessa and Anna already did it, and Nick... well, okay. I'm sorry, Nick.

I thought of a better quote for Patrick: "You see, I want to destroy anything that hurts you. So it's like,'these shoes--they're going down!'...but you won't let me."

Geoff: Did I meet you at swing dancing? How embarrassing. Did we dance? Was I any good? (don't answer that). I thought that I probably met you at the Breck table, through Nick.

The conversation about the standard occurred in the elevator first quarter. I was taking Euro Civ and learning about the Florentine "Standardbearer of Justice".

Anna: 1. Slow down, dear. I worry about your manner of rushing around in a panic. I'd like to make you a cup of herbal tea and let you calm down for a bit. 2.I'm going to go with a comic strip: User Friendly. 3. Root Beer Floats 4. Amanda: "Can I have the salt, please?" Alice: "No." (pause) "Anna used it all." Anna: "I don't believe in cholesterol!" 5. Was it that same day when I first visited room 606? I probably saw you rushing around the math building before then. No, I think I met you at the Michelson House table, some time before Patrick and I were dating. That's probably it. Those weeks are really blurry in my memory. 6. A horse. Specifically, Coltrane, a liver-colored Thoroughbred who was the grandson of Seattle Slew and was always in a hurry. 7. What would you concentrate in, if not math?

(Error correction: my first memory of you, Nick, is also from the dining hall, on Ash Wednesday. You walked by with Vanessa. I thought you looked a great deal like Patrick. I'm sorry, I know you hear that often.)

Okay, okay, okay. Now on with the pie recipe.

Aunt Maude Dodd's Peach Supreme Pie

Mom writes: "My family is Irish-Scottish-Welsh-Swiss-German and settled in a river valley in southern Pennsylvania. Everyone thought that our Aunt Maude, whose maiden name was Maude Node, would marry into a more elegan-sounding name, but we gave up on that when she became Maude Node Dodd. When I was a kid I thought Maude Dodd was a nursery rhyme character, but then I met her! She also made great oatmeal cookies. This is my niece Laura's favorite Pie."

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Crust
2 generous cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tblsp butter
2/3 c Crisco
4 Tblsp water (Alice's note: ice water is best)

Work the first four ingredients together with your fingers until the shortening is well incorporated into the flour (I use a pastry-mixing wire thingy because I can't stand the texture. AH). Sprinkle water over the mixture. Gather crust into two balls, sprinkle with flour and refrigerate while you slice peaches.

Filling
Peel and slice 6 large or 8 small peaches
Add one cup of sugar, a pinch of salt, two grindings of nutmeg, 1/2 tsp of almond extract, 1-2 Tblsp of flour (Two if your peaches are juicy. FP), 2 Tblsp of cream or half and half.

Roll out pie crust. My mother (that's my grandma--AH) says you have to flip it three times-- sprinkling with flour each time--while you're rolling it out. Don't overwork it or it will get tough. (We make a lattice on the top, but a solid crust is also fine. FP) (I have never, ever, managed to flip a pie crust three times. Don't worry about it. AH)

Fill pie with peach mixture. Cover with the top or a lattice.
Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Turn down oven to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until the peach juice is bubbling up through the lattice (or steam holes in the solid crust--FP) and looks as if its thicker and more jam-like than when you put it in the pie shell.

(Be careful to test your oven with a thermometer, especially if you live in an apartment, or the Shoreland. Shoreland ovens are usually hot. AH)

(Leftover crust, as my granddad Hutton and my father could tell you, should be sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked for an extra treat. AH)

1 Comments:

  • The joy of the feast!

    It was at lessons, the first few weeks of your puny mortal school career.

    And now I remember the conversation. Ah, sweet justice...

    mr thompson

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home