Fourth Wall

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Family History

For many years, I have wished for a recipe box like that which belonged to my grandmother-- a pretty wooden one with tabbed dividers for sorting cards. You don't see them around very often, especially on the West Coast. Today, however, my wish came true when I went shopping at Williams-Sonoma with my mother and grandmother. Unlike Grandma's, which held 3X5 cards, this one is made for 4''X6'' cards. It has a magnet to keep the lid closed, and has a "Pasta" divider where Grandma's had "Casseroles" and "Pickling". "Appetizers" has been replaced by "Hors D'Oeuvres".

Food is really important in most families, and is especially important in my mother's. Coming from a small town (Alexandria, Pennsylvania), the women of the family could be quite competetive and catty. I believe that the debate on whether one ought to press sand-tarts with one's thumbs or roll them out continues to this day. (Uncle Walter was enlisted as a judge every Christmas, and recieved large boxes of the cookies. He finally announced that, as they were his favorite, he would be an idiot to judge-- it would cut his supply in half.) I have spent the afternoon immersed in such stories as I page through old family cookbooks and Grandma's recipe box.

Some things break my heart-- like the card Grandma kept in her box with the name and number of the company that repaired her garage door, back when she could walk and lived in Palos Verdes. Aunt Ann, when she was still happily married and a young bride, sent her mother elegant recipes worthy of her new status as a diplomat's daughter-in-law ("Coq au Vin--(Chicken with Wine)", proudly writing her married name as the source. My favorite is the card added by a Second-Grade version of my mother, for Ice Cream Cookies, which lists "1 tasogs Vamilla" as an ingredient. There's also a recipe for the infamous "Bee's Kiss", referred to by family as "the Bee's Knees" due to an unfortunate error by a tipsy great-grandmother.

Some cards are infuriating, like the card for Potato Salad that begins "Boil potatoes. Let cool." Yes, but how many potatoes?

Mom's college recipe book is pretty interesting, too, and not only for the half-dozen variations of granola. The cover has the word "Recipies" stenciled on the front. Ann misspelled it when she was preparing to leave for college, and so bought herself a new one and left the typo to her younger sister. The first item in the book is some helpful advice on college life from an older brother. "Advice from Johnny: Beer stew: for use of stale beer." A college friend typed a recipe for Oatmeal Diamonds, noting "Read whole recipe before starting..." after which her boyfriend scribbled "if you don't this message will self-destruct, wreaking havoc amidst your spoons and knives." There's a page of Mom's Russian 210 homework (September 20, 1970), as well as driving instructions to her friend Laurie's house ("turn left, 930-ugliest bldg you've ever seen on rt. side of st. park where possible"). Both Mom & Grandma have over a dozen recipes for Christmas cookies, as well as pies and breads.

My father's mother is not such a good cook, in many ways. While Grandma Phillips just had a big family to feed (and catty in-laws), Grandma Hutton grew up on a farm where she had to help prepare huge meals for the workmen. She finds cooking from scratch a chore to be avoided at all cost. That said, she always makes me a (really good) chocolate pie. Her fried chicken, as well as her ham meat balls, are delicious, and sweet pickles from dill are one of my favorite things.

My investigation makes me interested in your family's food history. (I know you have one--especially Vanessa and Anna.) What does (or did) your grandmother make? What recipes do you make? Which ones can you share? Which ones can you not share? (I'm pretty sure that I'd be disinherited if I shared the Phillip's family chocolate sauce recipe.) Which foods have stories?

My family's history-- food and otherwise-- took a sad turn last week when my Uncle John Miller passed away. He wasn't really my uncle, but my grandfather's best friend and cousin. They grew up together in Alexandria, playing pranks like knocking over someone's outhouse on Halloween night, or tying someone's porch furniture to the top of a covered bridge. They were both devoted Republicans, and each canceled his subscription to TIME when it ran JFK on the cover. ("He was the president," says Mom.) John was always very good to my grandmother, and remained so for the over twenty-five years that passed between the death of my grandfather and his own passing. I met him once, when I was five, and nicknamed him Uncle "Have-Some-More" for his generosity at the table. We miss him, but, Mom says, "I keep thinking, 'Oh, maybe he's with Daddy'". Pray for both their souls.

Pie recipe to follow. I'm getting up early for mass tomorrow, and it is time for bed.

9 Comments:

  • My family's food history is a pretty strange mismash. Deedie (mom's mom) makes pretty American food, she's from Indiana (parts of her family have been here since before the Revolutionary War, so I guess that's about what we mean by American food) and she is married to Ray who actively dislikes things that have real flavors it seems (figure if he hadn't gotten lucky enough to marry Deedie 60ish years ago he would have starved to death long ago). That said, Deedie does make brown bread, which is Icelandic, and comes from Ray's family. Ray's mom happily handed over her bread pans probably before my mom was born. Deedie will happily give this recipe away to anyone, maybe they will take over making it for family gatherings and she won't have to anymore. I guess we also have good American food that is part of the family tradition that I take for granted, Angel Food Cake (chocolate frosted or with fruit filling, you probably can't have both, since it's taken my Uncle Thor almost fifty years to get them put together for his birthday cake), fudge, caramels (both homemade by gradma, I can't judge soft ball to save my life, so it's a good thing Deedie is still willing to cook), really good chicken pie, and the stuffing that is constant at Thanksgiving dinners on both sides of my family. Grandma Deedie isn't miserly with any of these recipes, usually she'll even write them out in the distinctive handwritting I so treasure.
    My dad's family comes with Jewish food history. Most of this I haven't paid as much attention to as I maybe should have. It also is the only family food category in which there are secrets--I don't think I'm allowed to share latke or kanedaleh recipies with anyone (nor can I realistically spell in Yiddish). I think that most of the Jewish food recipes come from great grandmothers, though I'm not certain which side. The copy I have (though I think the only one written down is for Kanedaleh) is in my Mom's handwritting, labeled as from my great-grandmother Anna (dad's mom's mom). The rest I have to ask dad for, and he just tells me, and it never seems worth writting down at the time, but then I have to ask again later.
    Last summer I discovered more Icelandic food traditions that apparently no one bothered to tell me about--most of them involved fish, which I don't like, but some were reallly yummy. I haven't learned much about them yet, though. Ok, I think I have blabbed enough here, so I'm going to go do some actual work now at work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:52 PM  

  • From Vanessa: As for my own family, our biggest tradition is "EAT MORE!" We have a few recipies that have made it this far (chicken tocana, stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage, and random desserts that I don't like), but we lost quite a bit. Most of our heritage food is prefaced on being poor and having to feed a lot of people with very little food. Once they found out that they could get enough meat in the New World (I'm third generation), they slowly started to give up on a lot of old world dishes. Also, my granny was, even more than her sisters, a good 50s housewife. I don't actually know the proper names for the stuffed foods, even though I kinda know how to make them. We share all recipies, though I think this may be out to fear of their getting lost, since I'm the only one of my generation that can cook any of the traditional foods. My mother is one of the few in her generation that ever learned as well. Sadly, as Anna knows, mamalega is ridiculously easy to make (romanian polenta), so it's really an indication of the effort imparted by my relatives. We have a few foods that have a story, including the stuffing, which granny had to learn from her mother in law and our cookies and pie, which have 50-60 year old explanations. My granny's mom kept my granny and her twin out of the kitchen most days and my grandpa's mom was a terrible cook that left the food to him, so we don't have very much of the old country beyond spirit and a few remembered meals.

    This is just a thought that I've had for a while, but what if we did a group compilation of recipies? I'm learning new ones all the time, and I already miss a few of Anna's. I'd be willing to do the compiling, since I have tons more free time than either of you or anyone else with a recipe to add.

    Also, Anna, did you ever give me your granny's brown bread recipe for mommy?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 PM  

  • I think food compilations are always a good idea. I can't live off of pies and cookies, as much as I would like to.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 9:44 PM  

  • how about hand writing these recipes? i really treasure the hand written recipes passed down by my family, i'ts a little piece of the person who gave me the recipe. we could photocopy? i'm ok with the notion of typing, though, if people prefer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

  • I'm partial to typing because it would allow for different formats (book vs. recipe card). I also don't like my handwriting.

    It might be good to have a different focus for each month or couple months, so that we all really come up with a variety of different ones (pasta one month, dessert the next), so that it isn't just a list of good desserts.

    Would it be ok if we invite others to contribute?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 PM  

  • I like writing, but it depends. I have a 4x6 recipe box (as mentioned before), but other people have books. I used to have a book. Does it matter that much if the format doesn't match?

    And of course other people should contribute-- but who? Patrick, for example, is not going to be concocting any recipies soon, and that is probably for the better.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 11:32 PM  

  • I have a half sheet sized book, but we could just make a book that is particular to this compilation, get it bound at Kinko's. I like the idea of focusing on different kinds of food in different months, because otherwise, knowing us, we will have a list of family recipes for desert items. Who else do we need to harass into contributing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 PM  

  • Why not start a group recipe blog?

    (Because it's not as cool as coordinating handwritten stuff, etc, etc, I know, but share the wealth!)

    I mean, why are good recipes supposed to be held as family secrets anyway? Where's the shame in letting others enjoy the fruits of your experience?

    By Blogger Patrick, at 12:13 AM  

  • I do feel as though my recipies are special enough that I don't adore the idea of sharing with all of cyberspace, since random people are creepy.
    -v

    p.s. I'm converting this convo to email, since that's easier to access.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home