Fourth Wall

Sunday, September 30, 2007

How I Spent My Day

Woke up at 8:30 hating the world having gone to bed at 3-ish, met up with people for a 10:00 am Eamon Duffy reading/discussion group. We dispersed at 12:15, and Kolya convinced T. and me to bring our books and accompany him to the Toronto Islands for a picnic lunch and studying on the beach.

This being Toronto, where the weather will very soon be not-so-nice, and because T. and I have spines of Jell-O when being pressured to procrastinate, we acquiesced.

So we took a ferry out to Ward's Island, settled ourselves on the beach, and spent the afternoon wading, enjoying the sun and air, and reading selections from our history reading to one another.

Then I went home to make dinner and prepare for the evening activity-- movie watching and beer drinking with Celticist Roommate and our PhD friends at Massey College. Movies watched: Anchorman and The Lion in Winter. Yes.

(Imagine a more elegant transition.)

One side effect of the time spent on the beach was a conversation about proper names, in which it was revealed that Kolya has a middle name that he finds embarassingly preppy, I have The World's Most WASP Grandmotherly Full Name, and T. was named neither for the character in medieval literature nor for the character in opera, but for the young, gadabout veterinary student in All Creatures Great and Small.

One of my fondest memories of second year is that of spending time in the kitchen cooking with Mary Claire, quoting James Herriot at one another. Do any of you Breckie/Comptonite readers have contact info for Mary Claire H.? I haven't spoken to her in months and months, but I'd love to share that little story with her because I know she'd get a kick out of it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • What *does* the P stand for? We were actually just wondering this as we found a bottle of olive oil marked with your initials, and I realized I don't actually know.

    Also: Hooray for James Herriot. I remember reading through all those between 2nd and 3rd grade. Yes I learned REALLY young what vets do when cows are having trouble giving birth... ;)

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 2:06 PM  

  • Phillips.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 4:03 PM  

  • That's right, I remember. Well, it's not as bad as Prunella.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 5:39 PM  

  • Prunella....
    heehEEEEEEEEEEEE

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home