Fourth Wall

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Ughh...

I have a pounding headache today, folksies, so I'm going to try to keep this short. Then I shall take some Ibuprofen and lie down until going to the Centre becomes completely necessary.

Yesterday was a surprisingly good day. I spent one last night at the house I was sitting, then made my way to campus where I bought pens, took myself out to brunch, and then sat the Latin exam. It was really shocking to see how many other people were taking it... PhD candidates from other departments and MAs who hadn't passed it last spring, as well as the new MA candidates. The first passage was a medieval paraphrase of Joseph interpreting dreams in his cell... "Ah-ha!" I thought, "People who know scripture... for the win!" I spent the next forty-five minutes having warm feelings for the Rabidly Lutheran Babysitter I had who gave me my first (Precious Moment's Children's) Bible. The other three passages were an Advent Sermon, a passage from the Latin version of the Ancrene Wisse, and Bede's account of the six ages of the world.

Then I went home to the apartment and put together Ikea Furniture. We now have a dining table and chairs, and I have a bed and a dresser. I would put together my desk today, but... pounding headache.

I think that's about all. Interesting eavesdropping over my brunch, but I don't really want to get into it. I start foaming at the mouth in fury.* Suffice to say, it was proof that secular people don't understand the scientific method, either. Dear friends who are planning to teach sciences: please to be kicking ass and taking names? Thank you.


____
* He was explaining to his friend that, you know, lots of doctors don't believe that HIV causes AIDS. There, I said it. Now I'm going to go lie down with a cold compress and be bitter.

3 Comments:

  • It's obviously caused by the poisonous night air.

    By Blogger Mr. G. Z. T., at 8:54 PM  

  • Oh, no not the poisonous night air! It is the evil sin of being non-secular. Didn't the people in the restaurant say so? Hope you are feeling better.

    By Blogger anna, at 9:42 PM  

  • You have my vow to kick ass and take names when I teach science.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home