Fourth Wall

Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Post About Beer

So, I kinda knew that this was going to be a hard, unpleasant week, and as all I really wanted to do on Tuesday night was sit in my room, eat british cheese, and have a beer, I went to Kimbark to get the second of those two items.

They were out of Anchor Steam and I almost had a crisis of faith and called my Dad, but then decided *not* to burden my father with my great sense of injustice in the universe (my roommate's boyfriend is storing his (loud, male) cousin in our living room, the group presentation on writing and illuminated letters in Medieval manuscripts that I'd worked so hard on was hijacked by one of the group members and became an hour-long lecture on the history of music notation, and there's no Anchor Steam at Kimbark!) and instead just bought Newcastle Brown.

So, a story about beer to explain my, well, un-feminine tastes in beer:

I grew up in a wine-drinking household, but when we had beer around it consisted of: 1) Guinness, 2) Newcastle Brown, 3) Anchor Steam. Going out to Chinese food, my parents would order Tsingtao. Going out to Mexican, they'd order... I don't remember, because sometime in High School my father decided that he'd had enough of this multiculturalism and would just order Anchor Steam everywhere.

So, we had an organic garden, and we had a snail problem. Mom didn't want to put out snail bait because we had kitties and bunnies and me running around, so she decided to use the age-old (?) trick of putting out saucers of beer for said snails. Snails, you see, are attracted to the beer, but then they drink it, get tipsy and drown.

Problem: we only had Guinness in the house.

Moral of the story: Snails don't like Guinness... or maybe God decided to punish us for wasting it by wreaking molluscian havoc on our garden.

* * * * *

Many of you know that I am addicted to Cute Overload. What you probably don't know is that the comments moderator, Theo, runs his own weblog where he is tracking the growth of the foster kittens his family is raising. My favorite video so far is this one.

You will get no work done until you watch them ALL! Multiple times!

* * * * *

Oh, and my Mantillas arrived! Expect future post explaining why this non-Rad-Trad feminist likes the tradition of covering one's head in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament.


Next step: getting up the (humble) courage to wear one to the Bishop's mass on Sunday.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • I'm a trad rad myself, and I think it looks awesome.

    By Blogger Caelius, at 11:23 PM  

  • Admittedly, I won't be there, so I have little standing. That noted, you shouldn't wear that for the exact same reason you didn't like the short skirt. Distraction. Dressing in a provocative way takes away from the focus of the service. It's not appropriate, and think it fits you well, but you don't think fifty people will stare? Particularly at a service with guests for confirmation?
    Also, unless something's changed recently, at Bond Chapel there's no tabernacle or Blessed Sacrament. That makes the respect a bit different.

    Though I like your general point on modesty, that's a immodest act. Daily Mass, on the other hand ...

    By Blogger R. Adam Molnar, at 12:21 AM  

  • oh Balls. Short skirts distract because they provoke lust, at least in me, and where I'm from [IOWA, if you're wondering], veiled heads don't bring that much notice. I guess if one is in an atmosphere where one is barely expected to cover one's breasts, anything above and beyond could be "distracting" in a certain way, but certainly of a different order than something provoking Lust. Though I suppose modesty is hot?

    BUT the real point of this comment: wings night? I'll be there at 8:30?

    By Blogger Mr. G. Z. T., at 10:39 PM  

  • I totally agree with Geoff. "Distracting" as in "That's kind of unusual" vs. "Oh yeah, I'd tap that" are two *completely* different things... While immodesty is distracting, that does not mean that distraction is immodest.

    Actually, unless I'm mistaken, according to the Catechism, Modesty = "choosing to keep veiled what ought to remain hidden". And covering ones' head is meant to symbolize exactly that. Maybe today such an action has lost some of its cultural relevance and therefore the full impact of its symbolic meaning, but you certainly couldn't argue it was doing the opposite.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home