Fourth Wall

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Spring Observations

The lilacs are in bloom behind the Quad club. They are intoxicating.

* * * * *

I wasted maybe 20 minutes the other night trying to write a notice about myself for the Urban School Alumni magazine. This is what I came up with:
In the September of 2007, I will be moving to Toronto to study for a Master's in Medieval Studies at the Centre for Medieval Studies, University of Toronto. This June, I will graduate from the University of Chicago with a degree in History, having specialized in Medieval Europe. Last summer I went to rural Wales for and studied Welsh. Two months living in and traveling around that country resulted in a rather esoteric bachelor's thesis on the biographies of Welsh saints written at the time of the Norman Conquest (but I swear it's interesting and will probably bore you with all the reasons why if you give me half a chance). I'm not sure that I will continue to focus on Celtic history, but the language is beautiful and the experience, of course, was unforgettable.

Looking at it now, it is rather too long. Oh well, too late for that.

* * * * *

There are two trends that I see in young feminist women in re clothing. 1) "I will dress like a sex object because my power to titillate men is liberating." 2) "I will dress like a sex object and if you men find that titillating, that's your problem." Less often do I see number 3: It is insulting that the fashion industry wants me to sell myself as a sex object. To buy into their standards is degrading to my honor and self-esteem.

On that note, however, can we talk (as summer approaches) about appropriate clothes for mass? I was flipping through the hymnal today when a young, attractive woman with nice legs and a skirt that ended somewhere around the mid-thigh flounced in and took a seat in front of a male friend, who was praying. He winced, and I felt sorry for him. She was, perhaps, entirely unaware of the problem (or else she thought it was his problem). My point stands: Honor your self and be kind to your Brothers-in-Christ by dressing at least somewhat appropriately for mass.

I'm aware that modesty-talk is unpopular, and it can be taken in many, many antifeminist directions (i.e. "She was asking for it, she dressed like a s---"). But really-- when did feminism become about prostituting your body...and not even to a man, but the fashion industry?

* * * * *

Other things that annoy me: the following conversation.

ALICE: I'd like a small chai, please.
C-SHOP WORKER: We don't have small. We have medium and large.

To which I narrowly restrained myself from saying, "No, then you have small and large."

* * * * *

Other, other things that annoy me: roommates.

* * * * *

Five favorite words (A):

5) Apotheosis
4) Ante-jentacular
3) Ambergris
2) Aeaeae
1) Absquatulate

* * * * *

Why did nobody tell be about Gerard Manly Hopkins before two weeks ago? I'd like a refund for the first 17 literate years of my life.

5 Comments:

  • here is the thing about short skirts: in most everyday functions they are not worth the trouble-really, can't bring myself to worry about how i'm sitting all day long. then again, maybe i'm antiquiated a little young? not sure i understand the context of mass so well, having been to a few to celebrate weddings and no others in my life.

    By Blogger anna, at 1:58 AM  

  • forgive my ignorance - but isn't mid-calf pretty long? That's usually on the long side of professional skirts, so I'm confused. Did you mean mid-thigh - because that would make a lot more sense in context.

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 6:35 AM  

  • You're just NOW discovering GMH??????

    I am marching right downtown and giving your mother, poet and professor, an edifying tongue lashing.

    Lana - point your paw and howl!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

  • Did I say calf? I meant thigh.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 10:02 AM  

  • I have to say, as much as I like the short skirts of spring, they don't go well with Mass. I wouldn't (even if I did have the pecs for it) wear a muscle shirt to church, after all. I'm not entirely sure why I feel this way. Distracting, yes, but also inappropriate? Perhaps that we should be dressing for the glory of God, and not for the attention of others whilst worshipping. So.

    But the rest of the time, yay! Skirts are awesome!

    By Blogger Nemo, at 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home