Fourth Wall

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Do You Know What This Is?


You might think that it is the second sock.


In fact, it is proof that I have infuriated the knitting goddess with my hubris. There I was, knitting round and round for the leg, going so far as to knit while walking, or while standing on the red line, thinking, "I'm pretty good at this! No power in the 'verse can stop me!"*

Yes, so some of you should be seeing doom on the horizon right about now. At the heel flap, it became eminently clear that I cannot, in fact, keep track of a slip-one, knit-one pattern while doing anything else at all. After tinking back and reknitting so many times in the Chicago humidity, the yarn has begun to felt to itself (I didn't even know cotton could felt...) I triumphantly settled down to turn the heel.

Which went without a hitch (I was being lulled into a false sense of security) until I decreased by an extra stitch and had to undo all my picked-up stitches to undo the problem. I calmed myself, settled down to pick them up again, and...


Somewhere in there with picking up the stitches, I turned the work around and I've been knitting on the wrong side. This is an act of particular stupidity because it is a sock. It is knit in the round. I should have picked up that something was wrong when I had too many needles facing me.

I'm torn over whether I'm going to make myself a strong cup of tea and sit down to redo it, or if I'm going to leave the sock in time-out on the bedside table for the day, glowering at it intermittently.

For those of you who don't go for the knitting features, here's a little bit of North American history for you. The video is worthwhile, if your computer will handle it.

-----
* Did I mention that the sock and I have been watching Firefly?

3 Comments:

  • I would advocate the strong tea and re-do option, AFTER you return from Mass, young lady.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM  

  • Mass is at 5:00 pm, Larry.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 2:28 PM  

  • You're only attending once?
    Just wait until you get home,missy. Eucharistic adoration will begin at 5 AM.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home