Fourth Wall

Sunday, May 13, 2007

ScavNotes

I'm all over this "cajoling people into signing up for things" business. I can turn duct-tape and doc posters into pretty much anything you want (see last year's "album of scav hunts past" for which I did the binding), I can "pimp" your "snack", I can sit on the floor hot-gluing dixie cups together while a second year bats his eyelashes at me and tries to get my attention, and I will always, always, show up with a first-aid kit and foodstuffs. In other words, I am an ideal ScavMom.

That said, actually interacting with the judges (even when they're judges I'm usually friends with) makes me feel like an idiotic first year... because you're expected to 1) read their minds (i.e., "what kind of tea do you want?" "surprise me", 2) fulfill the dreams they've had a year to fantasize over, in four days, 3) never, ever, ever, say "no".

In other words: I am not at all slick and should never be allowed to talk to judges nor to attempt to stick easter eggs in their bags/pockets/etc, and at one judge is getting a very angry e-mail about how much he pissed me off at the party last night... as soon as point-counting is over.

3 Comments:

  • Just an FYI, if you send nasty emails to the judges, they take them really, really seriously. (To the point where I've gotten an extensive written apology for something where I was somewhat annoyed because I mentioned to the HJ in an email that this was true.)

    Once the alcohol from Judgement wears off, they all turn into human beings again, so just make sure that you temper your email accordingly. Also, if it was something that really, seriously crossed a line, have the captains mention it in the formal "how things went" email to the HJ.

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 7:19 AM  

  • It's not going to be nasty, it's going to inform him how he may and may not talk to me about our mutual acquaintances. And he's a friend (or, well, I thought so. His hidden opinions about our mutual acquaintance make me doubt how much he actually likes me)--so it's going to be friend-to-friend, not nasty. It's nothing to do with ScavHunt, except that I felt like I shouldn't disagree because he was a Judge.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 9:48 AM  

  • Eh, you can disagree and say no to us. We're not always right, and we can be educated. Your first two criticisms cut a little closer, of course. We do put a lot of pressure on you; and though we try to celebrate the successful realisations of our dreams without scorning the failures, we're not perfect.

    But seriosly, you didn't have fun trying to slip us eggs?

    By Blogger Nemo, at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home