Fourth Wall

Monday, April 10, 2006

I'm SO happy!

And it's not boy related.

I had an amazing weekend. Friday and Saturday were spent at our very own Medieval History program's Devotion Before Print conference. I was a little nervous; Saturday I was the only undergraduate there. The talks were rather technical, and it was easy to get lost in references to obscure towns and manuscript numbers. Despite that, it was have been one of the most inspiring things I've done in a long time. I got to talk to the new Associate Professor, who specializes in Medieval Social History, about the classes he's going to be teaching, and I'm really looking forward to them. I talked to a few of the presenters about their (fascinating) research, and they listened to my insights (or at least pretended to). Miri Rubin (of the University of London) and Carol Symes (of UI at U-C) are my new heros. Further, the presentations showed me where my own research should be going-- from secondary texts to primary sources, from edited texts to manuscripts. I'm so excited, I almost want to write two thank you notes: one to CVN for organizing the event, and one to Danielle Allen for funding it.

Sunday, of course, was Miss Schriver's 21st birthday. We went to a German Restaurant in Lincoln Park. It was, as she said on the way in, "kinda crazy German". There was this middle-aged singer from Germany named Vanessa, who sang poppy German songs while wearing many sequins and insisting that we clap. As Conor said, "she's kinda demanding." German food was eaten, beer was drunk. I even found something I liked-- and then realized that I liked it because I'd eaten it before, in my Dad's (very German) part of Iowa, in sandwich form. Conor was convinced that he does, in fact, like pickled beets (they were totally beets, not cabbage, as Carolyn will have you think), and there was a not-insignificant amount of "dancing".

Today, the sun is out, I rocked my latin quiz (in part because the unmentionable one can't be bothered to actually come up with sentences on her own-- she just takes them from the homework and alters them slightly), I wore my springtime shoes, and I felt really, really happy-- almost giddy. Then I remembered: today is my baptism day!

I'm not a baby Catholic any more-- I've hit the terrible twos.

Cheesecake was eaten in honor of the day. It has been a better day than I ever thought it would be. Wednesday was bad, but each day is a little better. Who needs boys?

That said, two boys I dearly care about, and who have been very kind to me, very much need prayers. I'm not saying who, for their privacy, but please keep my intentions in mind.

Whew! I didn't expect this to be quite so long and incoherent. I must still be hyper.

1 Comments:

  • God grant you many years! I shall try to return your book sometime after your Easter and perhaps before mine [though I might need reading on the plane, I'm being routed through Atlanta].

    By Blogger Mr. G. Z. T., at 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home