Fourth Wall

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Perhaps I Spoke Too Soon

So much for "this should be a good quarter". I woke up this morning with an upset stomach from stress... and it's only the second day of classes. It will be a grace of God if I survive my bachelor's degree.

Fulton's class looks really interesting, but I don't think I'm going to take it. At this point, I'm much more interested in doing straight history-- something I don't really know much about-- so I'm taking Aspects of Intellectual History instead. The focus, unfortunately, is on Freud and Rousseau. As Father Pat says, "know thine enemies".

Of course, my old Euro Civ archnemesis is also registered for Intellectual History, so it should be interesting. She reminds me of Oscar Wilde. "Here she comes, large as life and not nearly so natural."

But the following segment made me laugh. From Fulton's class: imagine a woman in her late thirties, with long, brown, graying, wavy hair. Jeans, snow boots, and a general air of "ex-hippie", albeit not old enough.

Fulton: Jessica Smith?
Woman: Purple.
Fulton: Pardon me?
Woman: I go by my middle name, Purple.
...
Fulton: What's your program?
Woman: I'm at Meadville.

Meadville indeed. And this is just another reason why I'm glad I left the Unitarians for the Catholic Church.

Amazon sent an e-mail today; they have finally gotten around to shipping me a copy of the Compendium. I don't really have the money for it, of course. If I did have the money, I'd buy a copy for second year Stefan W, with whom I had an hour and a half long discussion about theology and apologetics this evening after the CSA board meeting. I showed up at Veronica's and had lost my voice from too much talking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home