Fourth Wall

Monday, March 27, 2006

Five things I find strangely empowering:
1) Putting together my new bookshelf all by myself.
2) Doing my own taxes (all by myself, albeit with much complaining).
3) Shopping for tools at Ace Hardware.
4) Fixing it (computer, toilet, printer, window...).
5) Walking home at night in the rain.

Well, I never did get much of a vacation, although it was great to be home. Friday afternoon was spent in the suburbs with Carolyn, doing some necessary shopping (I now have a bookshelf and new everyday shoes) and getting lost in the mall.

C: There's the second Eddie Bauer... there's two of everything in this mall!
A: Carolyn, this is the way we came in.

Much time was spent with Carolyn, Danny, et al., and I got to have lunch with Geoff, which almost never happens.

This looks like a busy quarter, but I think I'll enjoy it. I'm taking four classes, all of them interesting and exciting.

Latin 103: More of the same, but with Matt Perry, favorite TA of both Herr Hiller and Mr. Beard. He's a red-headed Roman History grad student and the RH of Stony Island (and is married to my BA preceptor, I think). If he continues to call irregular grammatical forms "wacky" I just might scream, and of course he's no match for Phil's lets-match-every-example-to-Hulk-Hogan-or-the-Chicago-Bears- if-not-both dorky charm, but I'm excited about reading Cicero, especially with a historian. And he isn't she-who-will-not-be-named.

History 43501: Spiritual Exercises: Theory and Practice. That's right, it's my first graduate-level course. Professor Fulton said she'd be "disappointed" if I didn't take it. There is, of course, a boatload of reading (it is Fulton, after all), and it's Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 am. I'm excited, though, because it's Fulton's area of research, and I'll be glad to take a class from her that isn't "popular" medieval history. She's pretty much my de facto BA advisor now; I should just get up the courage to go ask her.

Classical Civ: The Ephron Seminar (Roman Egypt). Because I'm a Classics minor, and I can't go a quarter without Phil Venticinque. This class might actually have more reading than Fulton's-- he "recommended" about 200 pages for the first day. But it's Egypt, so it makes me happy.

Art History: University of Chicago Campus. I don't know how I got into this really-hard-to-get-into class, but I sure hope that I like it now that I'm in it. I know about 75 percent of the people signed up for it, including Ms Anna B.

Extra Bonus Class: 42501: European Witchcraft. This was the other class I had today. It's from 3:00-6:00, and I spent much of it writing notes to Ben Fink (we started out in the wrong room together) and wondering if he would ever give us a bathroom break. Consensus: the professor is hilarious, but we're not sure he can hold our attention for three hours of digressions and changing topics. His lapel pin and watch were both of Captain Haddock, of Tintin; he reminded me more of Professor Calculus.

Note that Geoffrey Chaucer's blog has moved. The link below has been changed accordingly. He is also selling t-shirts. It seems like every time I check, he's added a new design. I'm a particular fan of this one, although this one is pretty good too. The "how queynte!" and "bele chose" shirts are, appropriately, sold with a warning: "Do not purchase thys shirte yf yow kan nat vndirstonde middel ynglisshe!".

Seriously, don't. If you do I will point and laugh.

In other news, boys are still stupid.

1 Comments:

  • oh posh, i can name at least three boys who are not stupid. whereas there are at least dozens of foolish women.
    mr thompson

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home