Fourth Wall

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Happy Tommy A Day!

Those who are learned will be as radiant as the sky in all its beauty; those who instruct the people in goodness will shine like the stars for all eternity, alleluia.

Wisdom from above is first of all innocent. It is also peaceable, lenient, docile, rich in sympathy and the kindly deeds that are its fruits, impartial and sincere. The harvest of justice is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace. James 3:17-18

Yes, we love Thomas Aquinas, even though he worked against the Carmelites. Yes, we are having a dinner party. Yes, we are serving Aquinas wine, of Napa Valley.

In other news, I'll be needing much Thomistic intervention now that my research is rapidly moving towards a BA proposal and midterms/term papers are approaching at what feel like unprecedented rates. Can I really spend over a year with Geoffroi de Charny, Bernard of Clairveaux, and chivalric saints? I think so. I love hagiography. I love it I love it I love it.

In other news, my classmates who think that Chaucer was risque for his time should take a look over here, which might get it through to them that the medievals were far from prudish. Don't click on the link if you don't want to look at weird medieval religious jewelry depicting genitalia.

And I didn't attend the talk on these medals, so don't ask me what they mean. I have enough trouble from the Legenda Aurea.

1 Comments:

  • Borrow Catherine Johns' "Sex or Symbol" from the library. The second or third chapter discusses many classical artifacts that look like that. I'm not arguing that the old fertility cults were Christianized, but the problem of infertility is omnipresent in human culture. There may be some connection.

    By Blogger Caelius, at 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home