Fourth Wall

Thursday, October 20, 2005

By Way of The Holy Whapping

There Go the Altar Rails

I think I'm pro-Vatican II (I am in favor of the laity, being a member therof) and anti-"the spirit of Vatican II". But the phrase "modernized mass" give me a headache. I know what they mean, but the prayer of the Mass is both in and outside time. It can't be "modernized"- it is timeless, and yet eternally connected to an act sometime in the twenties, AD.

Part of the role of the rite is to make that clear to our weak, human perceptions.

I'm sorry I'm a poet, not a theologian. I'm sure my description will be smashed by those very Whapsters. (Or Andy P.) My only defense is to direct you to everyone's favorite, St. Tommy A.

In other news: I'm not in Old English this morning because I'm trying my hardest to get un-sick before Erin shows up. I'll go to War in the Middle Ages this afternoon, but I'm taking a lazy, invalid morning, during which I will read about the Knights Templar.

In other other news: I don't think I stressed this enough. Go read Abbie the Cat has a Posse. It is animal-at-keyboard in the best tradition of the life and times of archy and mehitabel. Even people who are not cat people should enjoy his descriptions of feline depravity-- although those with an intimate knowledge of cats will get a kick out of recognizing their moods and motivations. I confess that the most recent post made me cry-- not because it was about a cat, but because it was from the point of view of a cat, writing about a cat, which made it human (and it was beautifully done). This blog is poetry. With pirates. As Archy typed, "expression is the need of my soul".

In other other other news: I keep forgetting to post this: Happy (Rather Belated) Feast of St. Luke the Evangelist! Is it too dorky to have a favorite synoptic gospel?

In other other other other news: I forgot.

2 Comments:

  • No, actually, I rather like your description. But then I'm an architect/writer/poet (well, free verse, if that counts...) rather than a theologian, too.

    --Matthew of the Holy Whapping

    By Blogger Matthew, at 8:09 PM  

  • I too like your description. However, really I'm a mathematician who dabbles in art criticism and philosophy. No Real Theologian would ever mistake anything I say for academic theology.

    -Andy P.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home