Fourth Wall

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bits & Pieces

She's right, you know.

Some more bad ideas for facebook groups:

Recovering Athiests
I Still Think Squirrels Are Cute
So He's The President. Can We Stop Arguing About Whether He's "Mine" or Not?
The Reg Stacks Tried to Eat My Soul
I Wish I Lived in Regency England


Have I mentioned yet that Jack (the kitten, for those of you who did not clip-n-keep the previous clip-n-keep section) has demonstrated a disturbing proclivity for tea? I drink really bitter (really, too bitter for me) British tea, but he'll go for it every time. I've never had a cat who was that desperate for milk.

So. Imagine a 14-week-old kitten on a caffeine high. I couldn't tell the difference, until I noticed that he was shaking.

Some more Whappers came to the Calvert Oktoberfest last Sunday. Emily and I enjoyed making fun of Dan (Rober) together. It was hard to get to know Matt, as he spent most of the time sending text messages in regards to his fantasy football team.

People With Whom I Need to Have Tea/Tasty Treat of Choice, once my throat is up to conversation again:
Veronica
Dan (Worthen)
Meg
Leah

If you are one of these people, I still love you. I'm just, you know, sick.

So I went to the OCF bananna bread baking party Sunday night. By the time I arrived, the bread was in the oven and they were sitting around watching Fawlty Towers. A Word to the Wise: Fawlty Towers is bad for your Latin Homework.

So you tell people that you're sick with a sore throat and cough, and all of a sudden they want to call you on the phone to talk to you-- and they almost invariably call when you're asleep. Therefore: please send any well-wishes by e-mail.

Final thought, related to the above list of Facebook groups. Anytime I mention that it would be interesting to live in a historical period, from Ancient Rome, to the Middle Ages, to the Victorian Era, someone invariably says, "but...you could die in childbirth!" It's not that I have dramatically narrow hips or anything. Yes, it was risky then...but most women didn't. That's how humanity survied Ancient Rome/The Middle Ages/The Victorian Era. Dianna would link this repeated response to our overconfidence in modern medicine, especially modern childbirth. Maybe when she gets back I'll ask her to write a guest post on the history of childbirth. But then, mostly boys read this blog, so maybe not.

6 Comments:

  • Yeah... I mean, you'd be much more likely to die while being born in those times than while giving birth.

    I think that when we're talking about wishing we lived in such-and-such another time or place, we're adding some implicit conditions about not being inordinately misfortunate within that context.

    Oh, and you know this already, but take it easy for now. Get well!

    *mild fret*

    By Blogger Patrick, at 4:20 PM  

  • I guess it goes to show how much Brian was text messaging that you couldn't recall his name - though confusing him with Matt is on a level of hilarity that you can't fully comprehend until you've met the latter, who finally got around to learning the rules of football last year and certainly doesn't play fantasy football. Brian isn't a Whapster (despite much begging about a year and a half ago, as well as stealing the password to get into our Haloscan account) per se, though he's friends with us - he runs a blog called "In Pectore."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 PM  

  • See, I've always maintained that our collective survival had more to do with creative incompetence than anything else.

    Some of us were sitting around drinking tea last night, and I realized that it didn't live up to the standards set in Breck first year. Also, I haven't had cold tea thrown at me in quite a while.

    I'm going to Yale this weekend. Call me sometime this week. We should have lunch.

    - Dan (Miller)

    PS: I have to say that my concerns about you in a bygone era are far more focused on you suffering an unpleasant fate in response to an ill-received wise-crack than they are on the dangers of childbirth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 AM  

  • Patrick: in re implicit conditions- I don't think you've got my mindset right, but whatever.

    Rober: I didn't think a) that his name was Matt or b) that he was a Whapster, but he listed me as a friend on the facebook and I couldn't figure out why, unless he had met me. or option B: really liked my cake. And there's always option Z: is really desperate for Catholic Nerd friends.

    Anna: I'll see what I can do.

    Dan: Yeah, well, I haven't laughed so hard that I needed to throw cold tea at anyone recently. Furthermore: I think that the teas were made more fun by the misguided belief that we were physical sciences majors. Need I remind you: "quasi-eureka? I think I've got it...maybe?"
    But I'll add you to the list for tea.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 8:47 AM  

  • You thought Brian was me? Wow. He's a great guy and one of my best friends, but we're...welll, we're very different. I don't think I'd know the first thing about fantasy football or Deification, his two areas of expertise... And I never text message. I barely own a cell phone.

    I'll have to drop by Chicago to see Dan in his native habitat and say hi so as to prevent this mistake in future! I've always wanted to meet an Alice. I didn't know they made them anymore. (It's a compliment. A very odd one, yes, but a compliment...)

    By Blogger Matthew, at 8:15 PM  

  • Oh. I read your response; glad you weren't confused and knew Brian was Brian. About the Facebook, no, I actually hadn't met you, but I wanted to see who Dan;s friends were like at UC, hence me putting you on my buddy list. It was mostly the cake.

    I tend to have people I have never met on my list (ie Fr. Bryce's niece)...

    By Blogger Matthew, at 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home