Fourth Wall

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I Feel Love I Feel Love I Feel Love

Famous Last Words: "Veronica. I live with toddlers. If I catch anything, it isn't going to be from you."

So I'm sick, which makes procrastinating okay. Yay. I went to the SCC, because it's in my chest and I didn't want to risk a bronchial infection, with my asthma and everything. They told me that I had a "viral syndrome", which means that they don't know what I have, but they aren't going to give me antibiotics, and told me to take lots of fluids, many naps, and some decongestants. Basically, stuff my mother could have told me. To comfort myself, I bought a new U of C sweatshirt (to make hanging out in pajamas seem more attractive), the current issue of The New Yorker, and a Terry Pratchett novel. Maggie braved the animals to make me chicken soup and tea.

Overall, however, it has been a week of pleasant surprises: a Halloween care package from Mr. & Mrs. LaVictoire, flowers from Patrick, a postcard from Josie, and a name-day phone call from Sukie. (Mrs. Lawler told me to "eat extra ice cream". I told her I needed no encouragement.) Erin is coming out for a job interview. The Lumen Christi Eucharist of the Saints lecture kicked theological ass--and was a nice way to spend a Saturday with Da Rober, Casey, Jakob, and Stephanie. It was also the feast of St. Teresa of Avila. To celebrate, I pre-ordered myself a copy of the Compendium of the Catechism on Amazon.

I've found some delightful blogs that I would like to share: Got Medieval and Abbie the Cat has a Posse.

Today's OE Quote: Translating the Flogging of St. Edmund
James: and they beat him with...um...
CVN: now, what are swipums?
James: brooms?

For the record, swipum = whips

1 Comments:

  • An 18th century German legal text I once read in translation described "punishment by featherduster."

    By Blogger Caelius, at 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home