Fourth Wall

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Going Home

I didn't recognize Fluffy when I saw him. That should not have been such a great surprise. I thought it was only a pretty cedar box that somebody gave us as a Christmas present. Then I saw the card attached with a rubber band- "In memory of your beloved pet, 'Fluffy'..." We are awaiting a clear weekend day to inter the ashes in the back yard.

I miss the old guy, but I am trying not to cry.

I am home safely, despite the best efforts of my mother, who booked my flight from St. Louis to Chicago, and from Chicago home. Slight problem: 45 minutes between the two flights, and imagine my surprise when the first flight brought me in to O'Hare, rather than Midway, from which my connecting flight was leaving. Frantic calls were made to Mom and United, in that order, and I got a later flight home on a different airline from the original. My luggage also made it safely home, and has been thoroughly investigated by Gwynn and Genevieve.

Had an interesting conversation on the plane with a man who went to the Chicago GSB, and is now a business consultant and creative writer. We talked about writing, and how people choose their professions, and where the myth of the romantic life of the writer originated, and about various personalities in math and physics (Gauss and Godel-- I had to explain who Godel was.)

Aunt Joan just stopped by with boxes of pears for our holiday table. It makes me wish that I liked fruit.

I leave you, of course, with a quote. "Ah, yes. Meerkat eugenics. Like Plato's Republic."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home