Fourth Wall

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Dw i'n hoffi defaid.

I've had a request for sheep photos, so we're going to break chronological order and do some pictures from Carmarthen and Lampeter. Birmingham will follow, now that I have internet in my dorm room.


This was the first thing I noticed about Carmarthen: the grass, the beautiful river Tiwy, the sheep, and the swans.


Whenever I was bored, or lonely, or scared about my trip, I'd walk down to the river and watch the sheep, which cheered me up and calmed me down. I took a series of these pictures during a particularly low point on Sunday, when it was over 90 degrees and there was nothing to do in town-- so I walked down to the river and sat in the shade under the bridge.


Those who are interested-- that is, Mom-- will notice that these sheep are pretty young: their tails haven't been docked yet. (As Carolyn would say, "agricultural secrets for the savvy farmer".)


In Wales, there are four sheep for every person. This is a real statistic.


This is Lampeter's "Old College", and the building in which I am living-- sharing a quad with the administration and the chapel. My room is the third window on the right (yes, the right) of the arch.


The view from in front of the Old Building. What could those white things on the hill be?

My Spanish is getting an unexpected workout from the Argentinians. Favorite moment, which occured (literally) over my head. "Ella no entiende espanol." "Si! Ella lo entiende muy bien."

The cafeteria food was much better today-- as in it wasn't undercooked chicken. Tomorrow I'm dragging my entry into town to watch the football/soccer game.

Oh, and it's going to be really hard, but this is a kick-ass language and it's going to be amazing. Just so you know.

Coming soon to a lunch break near you: Historical and Architectural sites in Birmingham and Carmarthen.

7 Comments:

  • It's gorgeous! Elliott would be having a field day over there.

    Loved the Spanish humor, inadvertant as it was.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:17 PM  

  • Yay! Exciting! Thanks for posting the pictures!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 6:56 PM  

  • Lovely.

    I'm restraining myself from quoting the engineer/physicist/mathematician joke. You might know which one.

    Translation of the Spanish?

    By Blogger Patrick, at 10:44 AM  

  • Vanessa: no, not entirely.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 5:38 PM  

  • So, I understood the Spanish translation to be Vanessa's interpretation. Can you reveal the entire truth?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:35 PM  

  • No, Vanessa's spanish is excellent. That's a good translation.

    By Blogger Alice Teresa, at 8:27 AM  

  • I am kind of ridiculously envious.

    --Jared

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home