Fourth Wall

Saturday, February 18, 2006

The problem with being a third year...

...is that your paper assignments get longer and longer, while simultaneously getting less and less frequent. I haven't written a paper yet this quarter, and so I keep forgetting that I have a (5-10 pg) term paper due for Professor Fasolt on Thursday, and a (10-12 pg) term paper for CVN due a week later.

Who assigns a 5-10 page paper? Honestly.

Every time I do one of these boring "all the stuff I have to do" posts, I remember Heavens saying, "have you seen the week this girl has?". That said, it is both a cathartic exercise, and one which helps me keep track of things.

SO.

This weekend, I must:
Finish two more internship applications,(finished one-- and got called for an interview!)
Do latin homework (and learn the subjunctive conjugations that I got confused on the exam),
Read for my German Reformation class,
Figure out what I'm serving (vegetarian and low-carb) for the roommate dinner rotation tomorrow night (my winter fall-back plan, chicken and dumplings,* for obvious reasons, is right out), (canceled due to illness)
Get a substantial start on that German Reformation Paper,
Get a substantial start on that Canterbury Tales paper (CVN is a fierce grader, and I'd like to turn in a draft),
Re-write Catholic Students Association Board bylaws and constitution as requested by Fr. Rugen et al,
Make aforementioned dinner, (canceled)
Mass,
Other Social Things, e.g. Dinner w/ Worthen esta noche, Motet Choir concert, Ghirardelli's with Veronica.


Monday:
Calvert House Undergrad Dinner
Chaucer Reading-- Clerk's Tale
Latin Homework
Yeah, Monday was a total wash, spent sleeping and watching musicals.

Tuesday:
If I'm going to turn in a draft of the Chaucer paper, it's due today
CSA board meeting, which overlaps with the
Choir rehearsal for Ash Wednesday mass with Cardinal George
German Ref reading

Wednesday:
Cardinal George comes to give a talk for the Law School, but I can't attend due to the need to
Write my German Reformation paper

I'm pretty sure I have a Latin Quiz in there, too, but I can't find the paper and I don't know when. I hope it isn't Monday.

In The Near Future, I need to come up with a BA topic and start thinking about summer research opportunities. Last Wednesday's talk about applying to grad school was pretty anxiety-inducing. Actually, I should probably figure out if I really want to go to grad school.

The BA topic problem, it turns out, isn't so much a problem of not having interests. The problem is that I'm interested in too many things. Examples:
Clovis' Salic Law - What the Heck?
The Carolingian Dynasty and Millenialism
St. Ignatius of Loyola - Chivalry and Sanctity
St. Martin of Tours - Chivalry and Sanctity
The Templars - Chivalry and... you get the idea
Anything Involving Peter Abelard
Those round diagrams you get in medieval manuscripts.
The Merovingians (a nasty lot)
Pre-reformation Germany
British Vernacular Literature and Fairy Tales, especially in Wales
Medieval Historiography
Heresies, and what they can tell us about intellectual history.
Mystics

Things I'm NOT interested in: The Reformation Period (with the exception of the Catholic Historiography thereof), Medieval England (with the exception of the OE & ME languages), Humanism (sorry, Danny), Chaucer (except insofar as I can connect him to Ovid and Boethius). From this list, the reader can extract the problem with this quarter's classes.

I don't know why I don't like Chaucer. I want to like Chaucer. Kathleen (roommate) has suggested that a stiff drink before reading might lower my inhibitions and allow me to find him more entertaining.

Went out for Cuban food with Mr. Marinides, Miss Robinson, et al last night, but it's getting late and this post is getting long, so I'm just going to leave you with a cliff-hanger there.

*or, you know, Dumples

2 Comments:

  • Alice:
    I left a copy of the current bylaws in Father Pat's mail slot Friday afternoon. There's much room to improve them, but there are several university requirements.
    I just found the Microsoft Word copy, which I will send on to Fr. Pat tonight.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:05 PM  

  • Sounds like Ignatius, Martin, and the Templars have something in common... I'm sorry you don't like your classes this quarter. It's winter quarter... even if you had amazing classes, you'd still probably hate them. Just keep reassuring yourself that there are so many exciting classes to take next quarter that you just can't take them all! Hence, you could, theoretically, decide to take the ones with the least amount of work. Good luck.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home