Fourth Wall

Friday, August 03, 2007

In Which We Pretend You Give A Damn

"So, Alice," you ask, "what are you working on, now that you finished your socks?"

Let's pretend you asked.

Well, after my dear Kathleen enabled the purchase of some egregiously expensive 50 wool/50 silk yarn, I finally cast on the famous Clapotis. If I'd known, before I bought the yarn, that this was one of the most popular patterns in the WORLD, I might not have done it. As is, I'm loving the yarn, the pattern, the smoky silk smell, and the colors, which I chose to go with my camel-colored wool coat.

Genevieve has been enormously helpful. That white thing underneath her is the pattern.

Here's Gwynn modeling what I have so far.

I also cast on for the Triangle Man Pillbox from see jane knit, in a lovely bluey/grey/purple colorway from Noro (a Japanese yarn, Steph! You care about Japan, don't you?). It's going to be my little way of taking the Pacific to Toronto with me.


Knitting the triangles was endlessly entertaining, but the rest of the hat is awaiting circular needles of the right size...so for now, my knitting basket looks as if I've taken up knitting kippot.



She's going to smother me in my sleep.

Oh, and, uhm...

That might be a swatch for another pair of socks. My only defense is that I'm going to see my therapist from high school this evening, I'm nervous, and I'm going to need something to do with my hands both on the 45-minute-bus ride and while I'm there.

An Etiquette Question
Tomorrow, I am attending a wedding with a Tridentine mass. Yes, this is the roommate's wedding of which you have heard so much. This raises many questions, including, "what am I going to wear?" and "what do I say to the bride's parents, who speak almost no English?" and, finally, "I have mono. What do I do about communion... do I just not go to receive? Do I go, kneel, and stick out my hands?" I mean, okay, I'm not planning on licking anything, but I'd feel weird about receiving on the tongue when I'm, you know, still contagious.

Oh, Hi...
Larry, this blog is for you. I knew you'd like it when I saw his Grey Gardens reference.

I almost forgot.
Nemo: the proper way to request Earl Grey is demonstrated by Fr. M. T. Yak, making fun of Sukie: "MY tea isn't REAL tea unless it has Oil of Bergamot in it!" Honestly, I'm not sure what's wrong with my male acquaintances, that so many of them go for the Earl Grey. Shoreland 832 was evenly divided into Pro-Bergamot (Sukie & Dawn) and Anti-Bergamot (Amy & Yrs. Truly) factions, with Margaret as the espresso-drinking referee.

1 Comments:

  • I LOVE it. Mucho thanks.

    I don't care if you've got the plague - receiving on the HAND at a Tridentine Mass is the very height of outre, in the BAD-BAD way!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home