Fourth Wall

Friday, August 11, 2006

Notes and Thoughts

Well, I didn't end up spending the night at the Eisteddfod, which was just fine with me. I had my night of camping amidst drunken revelry at Sesiwn Fawr, and I was glad to get a good night of sleep last night in my bed. I did buy myself a "Trafferth Mewn Tafarn" shirt, which I wore today. For those who don't know, "Trafferth Mewn Tafarn" is a Medieval Welsh poem by Dafydd Ap Gwilym, and the title means "Trouble in a Tavern". As James (He of Many Names) said (in reference to his own TMT shirt), "It's both an amazing poem, and true."

Things I did at the Eisteddfod:
Looked at Books
Sat through a competition for Baritones 25-and-older
Was bamboozled into enduring half an hour of the Patagonian-Cymru Society Meeting
Drank tea in the Learner's tent
Talked to the radicals in the CYD tent (and was given a free CD of contemporary Welsh language music)
Was wined-and-dined by the Cymru a'r Byd (Wales in the World) organization
Got wet (it rained)
Bought my amazing chrys-t, photo to be found on Facebook.

*****
Nearing the end of the course, I have only a few regrets. I wish I'd gotten out of Lampeter more on weekends. I wish I'd written more in my journal. I wish I'd been better about listening to the CDs. I wish I'd been better about talking to people in the town in Welsh.

Oh well. Two weeks to go--I can still improve. And tomorrow I'm going to Aberystwyth with the Patagonain women. I LOVE THEM. I know where I'm going the next time I take a big trip.

*****
All that said, I feel pretty good about my Welsh. I've been having real conversations: about cooking, about books, about family history, about history, about politics. I mean, the grammar and vocabulary aren't great, and I do salt my conversation with Spanish or English, depending, but I still feel pretty darn good. There are some things I'm still uncertain on, but I think that if I spend a good few hours practicing, I'll start getting them down.

Things that are hard to talk about in Welsh, but which I attempted anyway while walking around with Esaiah this evening:
1) The plot of The Wizard of Oz.
2) The story of escaping slaves using the constellations to navigate their way north.
3) The Northern Hemisphere tradition of making a wish when seeing a falling star.
4) The Anti-Catholic aspect of US history.

We did, of course, (because it's Esaiah) talk about family history. I told him my middle name (Phillips--very Welsh), and he called me a Cymraes, his highest compliment.

*****
Also found at the Eisteddfod, interesting primarily because it documents part of my own family history: The National Library of Wales' Wales-Ohio Project

*****
From the "you know you're in Lampeter when" department: Kat overheard two guys talking about her at the pub last night. "She has really small hands," one said. "She'd be great for lambing."

*****
There's a running joke among the bechgyn Aber about translating movies into Welsh. Most common example: "Luke, dw i dy dad di" "Naaaa!" My own contribution came today, after a conversation about how hard it is to learn vocabulary. From The Matrix: "Dw i'n gwybod ju-jitsu."

*****
We Americans just can't believe how early the British students specialize in a field (or "course"). That said, reliable sources (that is, James) relate that Adam (Warrior of Devon) chose his course by dart-board.

*****
I don't have any good stories about (spritely) Phil (Son of Prophecy), but I wanted to mention that just so that I could call him (spritely) Phil (Son of Prophecy).

*****
It is now far past my bedtime, and I absolutely must sleep tonight. Miss you all, as you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home