Fourth Wall

Monday, December 26, 2005

I don't like this new "how do you know ---" feature on the Facebook. It interests me, but it is far too complicated for my tastes and yet doesn't capture the subtleties of my relationships. There's really no way to say "I'm friends with Anna through Vanessa, but we both dated Patrick and that's how I first met her, and we both lived in the Shoreland and we have the same opinions on how to make a proper macaroni and cheese casserole."

Or, "I met Tom because we both lived in Compton House, but we're both Catholics so we have brunch after Sunday Mass and occasionally he feeds me tea and cookies."

Or, "I've known Paul C. since we were both in diapers, because our mothers went to grad school together, but then we went to High School together"

And how do I know Victor Neminis?

EDIT: Dan (Miller) writes, "Apparently you've discovered the latest time-waster they've added. I'm not entirely sure why the entire world needs to know who lived in a dorm with/took a class with/got drunk and hooked up with someone else, but, for everyone fascinated by those connections, there's the facebook."

FURTHERMORE: It seems that people have been making me an officer in facebook groups without my knowledge. This may be a sign that I should pay more attention to my groups. That said, if you can come up with a better name for my Calvert House position, I'd be happy to hear it.

PS: Having finished off the chocolate-covered almond toffee that I got in my stocking (time check: 1:11 am, December 27), I am totally buzzed on sugar. I may not sleep tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home