Fourth Wall

Friday, November 25, 2005

Time for some breakfast pie.

Then we're moving on to Clement Street for Dim Sum-- all four of us.

From Heloise's Letter to Abelard:

I call God to witness, if Augustus, ruling over the whole world, were to deem me worthy of the honour of marriage, and to confirm the whole world to me, to be ruled by me forever, dearer to me and of greater dignity would it seem to be called your whore than his empress.


For it is not by being richer or more powerful that a man becomes better; one is a matter of fortune, the other of virtue. Nor should she deem herself other than venal who weds a rich man rather than a poor, and desires more things in her husband than himself. Assuredly, whomsoever this concupiscence leads into marriage deserves payment rather than affection; for it is evident that she goes after his wealth and not the man, and is willing to prostitute herself, if she can, to a richer.


Just some food for thought, to ruminate on as you cross the quads.

(Found at Fordham's Medieval Sourcebook)

I don't know what I want. Aside, of course, from pie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home